Public, Community & School Transport

NHS hospital travel costs

If you (or a member of your family) are attending hospital for an appointment, you may be able to reclaim the cost of your transport to and from the hospital.

You can claim if you are any of the following:

War Pensioner, and your treatment is for your pensionable disability.

You, your partner or dependent children are receiving:

  • Income Support

  • Income based Job Seekers Allowance

  • Child Tax Credit and named on a Tax Credit NHS Exemption Certificate

  • Working Tax Credit and named on a Tax Credit NHS Exemption Certificate

  • Pension Credit Guarantee Credit

  • A named person on an HC2 certificateand possibly if you are on an H3 certificate.

You can claim using Department of Social Security form HC5, which is available from your local Jobcentre Plus, NHS hospital, or any main post office. You may claim help with travel costs up to three months after the date of travel.

You can claim back any money you spend on fares, including taxi fares, if this is the only way you could travel to you appointment. Please remember, however, to keep all receipts. If you are accompanied because you need assistance, your escort can also claim the cost of fares.

More information on eligibility is available in Leaflet HC11, Are you entitled to help with health costs?, which you can get from hospitals, post offices and pharmacies. Alternatively contact:

Department of Health Publications
PO Box 777 London
Tel: 08701 555455

Download Leaflet HC11 from the Department of Health website

If you want to visit someone in hospital but cannot afford the fares, you may be able to get help from the Social Fund. Contact your local Jobcentre Plus, for details.

A leaflet is available from your Jobcentre Plus entitled 'Grants and Loans from the Social Fund', which will provide you with more information.