Hampshire Pension Services

Administering the Local Government Pension Scheme, Police and Fire schemes

Cohabiting partner

If you live with your partner but you are not married or in a civil partnership, he or she will only receive a pension if your relationship meets certain conditions at your death. You can let us know your current circumstances by completing a Nominated cohabiting partner form. Please note that there is no requirement for you to complete this form but you may do so if you wish.

When you die, your partner will need to be able to demonstrate that, for at least two years:

  • both you and your partner were free to marry each other or enter into a civil partnership with each other, and
  • you and your partner were living together as if you were husband and wife, or civil partners, and
  • neither you nor your partner were living with someone else as husband and wife or civil partners, and
  • either your partner was financially dependent on you or you were financially interdependent