Leaving the LGPS
Please note that Flexible Retirement is subject to your employer’s policy; therefore this may not be available to all members of the scheme
What is Flexible Retirement?
This is an option to draw your retirement benefits while you are still working, enabling you to ease into retirement.
To be eligible for Flexible Retirement you must
- have at least 3 months’ membership of the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) or, if less, have had a transfer of pension rights into the LGPS from some other pension arrangement
- be age 55 or over
- reduce the hours you work or the grade in which you are employed, in accordance with your employer’s policy
- have your employer’s consent to take immediate payment of benefits despite your employment continuing
What will my benefits be if I die in service?
- a lump sum death grant of three times your final pay – this will be paid to your estate, unless you have nominated individual(s) and/or organisation(s) (Death grant 'expression of wish' form)
- a long term pension (if you have more than three months' total membership)
- a children’s pension to any eligible children
Full details of death in service benefits can be found in the employee’s guide.
You can find more information about life cover and protection for your family in LGPS look forward with confidence leaflet
Information about how to report a death.