Basingstoke Discovery Centre interior scheme
Basingstoke Discovery Centre opened to the public on 30 November 2010, following the successful completion of a £1.2m refurbishment of the existing library and Citizen’s Advice Bureau. Predominantly funded by Hampshire County Council, the project was also supported by Basingstoke & Deane Borough Council and the BIG Lottery Fund.
Given the tight budget and large floor area, good judgement and a strong design flair was essential to transform the space and maximum its potential as a resource for the local community. It was especially important to make the new building more inclusive so that it caters for all kinds of different needs.
The new Discovery Centre now provides:
- Full library service complete with RFID electronic self issue system for library users
- People’s Network (web access) and full WiFi coverage
- Special advocacy for adults with learning difficulties
- Specialist children’s area with a mural by well known author Lauren Child
- The first personal changing suite in the County for adults with special needs
- Hearing and visual impairment clinics
- A locally funded business suite and community room.
The vibrant mural by Michael Craig-Martin, a renowned artist, provides a new public frontage for the Discovery Centre and draws people up from the shopping mall.
Hampshire County Council
Basingstoke & Deane Borough
Council and Citizens Advice Bureau
Completed November 2010
tel 01962 847801