You are hereHantsweb Home

Property Services

Gypsy and Traveller Service

The Gypsy and Traveller Service provides and maintains four permanent residential sites for gypsy and traveller families within Hampshire. It also deals with unauthorised encampments that occur on council land around Hampshire (including land belonging to district and borough councils).

The services provided encompass the welfare of the travellers who are on the permanent sites and those who are illegally camped, whilst also dealing with the legal system to ensure the travellers are moved on and the site cleared of rubbish and made secure.

In addition, staff from the Gypsy and Traveller Service are also jointly working with all district councils within Hampshire, and the unitary Authorities of Portsmouth and Southampton, to coordinate plans to provide further sites for travellers, in line with obligations under the Housing Act 2004.

Advice for people affected by unauthorised encampments