Roadworks and road maintenance
- BBC Hampshire roadworks and travel information: including traffic cameras and incident updates
- Romanse Twitter: real time traffic and travel
Roadworks.org: for all Hampshire and UK roadworks
(see advice below on how to use it)
Major County Council road and transport improvement schemes
July 2014 Bovis Homes at Pitt Manor Romsey Road Winchester
Bovis Homes have started work on the major scheme for 200 houses just off Romsey Road, west of the junction with Stanmore Lane. Works affecting the road started at the beginning of the school holidays and will last until late November.
Temporary traffic lights will be in use along with occasional night time road closures. The County Council is working with Bovis homes and bus companies, schools and the emergency services in order to minimise the impact of these works. Further details are available on the Bovis Homes website:
M27 Junctions 3 and 5 and M3 Junction 6
The Highways Agency starts major works in June and July 2014 which last until March 2015.
- Highways Agency M27 Junction 3 works
- Highways Agency M27 Junction 5 works
- Highways Agency M3 Junction 6 Black Dam roundabout
Roadworks information online: roadworks.org website
Over 80,000 sets of essential works are carried out every year to maintain public utility and highways services. The vast majority of roadworks are undertaken by public utility companies (electricity, gas, water, cable services).
You can view a list or map of all works likely to cause disruption on a national website called roadworks.org
This lists all roadworks that are likely to have some impact on traffic flow.
Set up personal email alerts for roadworks in your area
On roadworks.org you can set up an email alert for future planned roadworks in your area.To set up an alert, from the entry page go first to "Alerts and Search", then to "Alerts".
Find Out More
- See a set of short video films explain some of the road maintainance methods and techniques that are used by the County Council and its contractors
- Potholes: issues and information
- Reducing traffic disruption caused by roadworks
- Roadworks by utility companies and County Council contractors
- Why Roads and footpaths deteriorate
- Maintenance techniques
- Surface dressing
- Prioritisation of road maintenance needs
- Street cleaning