Surface dressing - what to expect if you live nearby
Before starting any works the County Council’s Contractor will:
- Erect ‘advance warning signs’ on affected roads, stating the start date and duration of the works.
- Send leaflets to adjacent residents, giving further information about the works and asking them to refrain from on-street parking on the day of the works. Parking obstruction and adverse weather are the main causes of delays.
- Time the works to coincide with quiet periods.
On the day the Contractor will:
- Introduce himself and ask you to move your car to a neighbouring street.
- Sweep the road to remove any loose material.
- Cover all gullies and manholes covers.
- Dress the road surface.
- Where possible, allow traffic past any machinery using manually operated `stop/go' boards whilst the works are being carried out. In some cases roads may be too narrow for this, and drivers may have to find an alternative route for a few hours.
- Complete the works within a morning or afternoon.
- Any loose chippings will be swept up over the next 7-14 days; and
- Any white or yellow lines and disabled bays will be replaced within 14 days.