Using the online maps
Searching for a Right of Way
- Enter postcodes in full ie. SO23 8UE and click OK
- Select the appropriate location from the list and click OK
- A map will be displayed at a scale of 1:5,000
By place name
- Enter the name of the place you are looking for e.g. town, village or parish.
You can just enter the first few letters and click OK.
- Select the appropriate location from the list and click OK.
- A map will be displayed at a scale of 1:20,000
By grid reference
- Enter grid reference in the boxes using OS National Grid coordinates, Eastings first then Northings. Enter 6 digits in each box and click OK.
- Do not use letters as part of the grid reference. The prefix SU or SZ has to be converted to a number.
- Eastings are read from left to right (west to east) on OS maps. In Hampshire the first number will always be ‘4’ which represents the letter ‘S’ eg. 454307.
- Northings are read from bottom to top (south to north) on OS maps. Most of Hampshire is within the SU part of the grid and the first number will be ‘1’ which represents the letter ‘U’ eg. 133934
- Where the Northings are within the SZ part of the grid the first number will be ‘0’ which represents the letter 'Z' eg. 098502
- Examples: SU 543 339 becomes 454300 133900
SZ 725 985 becomes 472500 098500
Further information about using the National Grid at the Ordnance Survey website.
By clicking on the map
- Move your mouse pointer over the map and click once on the location you wish to view.
- A map will be displayed at a scale of 1:20,000.
The approximate scale at which you are viewing the map is shown at the bottom of the page, just above the key: Current Scale 1:20000
- If you wish to change the scale of the map, select the required scale from the drop down menu. A large number e.g. 25000 will display a small scale map. A smaller number e.g. 5000 will display a larger scale map .
- The maps will only be displayed between the scales of 1:5,000 and 1:50,000
- The scale of a printed map will not necessarily be the same as the scale displayed on the screen
Moving around the map
To move around the map click on the directional arrows that are around the edges of the map. You can move north, south, east, west and diagonally.
Making a new Search
Click on the 'new search' button to return to the search page where you can enter a new postcode or place name to find maps of another part of the County.
To find information about a path
The information page will show the parish, status and number of the route(s) you have selected. Additional information may be displayed for some paths, for example if the path is temporarily closed. When you click on a point a grid reference will be displayed, even if you have not clicked on a right of way. The first digit of each of the six figure reference is the numerical equivalent of the Ordnance Survey prefix letters (SU or SZ in Hampshire)
To report a problem on a right of way
If you wish to report a problem on a right of way e.g. an obstruction or a broken stile you can complete an on line report form to let us know the details. Click the Information button. Move the mouse pointer over the map and click on the right of way you are interested in. The information page will be displayed. Then click on 'report a problem' and complete the online report form.
Using the icons
Click the Zoom In Button
Move the mouse pointer over the map and click once to zoom in around that point. It is not possible to zoom in beyond a scale of 1:5,000
Click the Zoom Out button
Move the mouse pointer over the map and click once to zoom out around that point. It is not possible to zoom out beyond a scale of 1:50,000
Click theback button to return to the previous view.
Click the button. Move the mouse pointer over the map and click on a right of way.
The online maps use technology which may not be accessible for all users.
We can provide information in an accessible format on request.
Rights of Way
Castle Avenue, Winchester SO23 8UL
tel 0300 555 1391