What SELP does
SELP partners in Southern England include local authorities, universities and other organisations from the county geographical areas of Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, East Sussex, Hampshire, Oxfordshire, Surrey and West Sussex.
Services delivered by the office include:
- Provision of focussed and timely information for an agreed set of key funding programmes;
- Provision of in-depth, focussed and up-to-date knowledge of relevant EU policy; and
- Development of strategic contacts, partnerships and networks for exchange of best practice and to enhance the profile of our partners in Europe.
The work of the Brussels office focuses on a number of different priority areas:
- Environment and sustainability (including climate change, energy efficiency, water management etc);
- Business, entrepreneurship, competitiveness, R&D and innovation
- Maritime issues;
- Health and social inclusion;
- Culture and tourism
- Skills and education
The advantages of a Brussels Office
There are approximately 270 regional/ local authority representations in Brussels - not being amongst these could mean that we miss out. Legislation formulated in Brussels affects all of the European Union including the UK, and we need to be aware of what is happening and be able to influence this through the various channels at our disposal.
Working with our MEPs, national government and other partners in Brussels, we are able to ensure that SELP members learn more about the emerging opportunities in Europe and are able to plan and act accordingly for the benefit of their own stakeholders.
Partnerships and networks:
Through the consortium of partners, SELP has already established successful working relationships with:
- The Assembly of European Regions (AER)
- Channel Arc Manche
- Airports Regions Conference
- The Conference of Peripheral Maritime Regions (CPMR)
- Polis (transport)
- PURPLE (peri-urban regions)
- A number of individual regions within France, including both Upper and Lower Normandy, and other strategic partners across the EU
As a partnership, we have extensive knowledge of a number of European funding programmes including the Competitiveness and Innovation Framework Programme (CIP), Equal, European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), European Social Fund (ESF), the Framework Programmes (Research), Interreg and Leader+; and a combined experience of successfully bidding for European funding from many of these sources.