Sport Hampshire & IOW's dedicated coaching support and development team, Coaching Hampshire & IOW works closely with local partners and coaches, National Governing Bodies of sport and sports coach UK to provide a co-ordinated and strategic approach to develop the county's coaching workforce, raise standards and meet the challenging expectations of athletes, children and parents.
www.coachinghampshireiow.co.uk is a one-stop-shop for coaches and coach recruiters in Hampshire. There's no need to register on the site, but doing so is quick and easy and will open up a host of services and access to coaching information.
Coaches can find opportunities (both paid and voluntary), details of courses and training, signposts to the very latest in coaching information and resources, plus information on funding and support.
Coach recruiters can advertise coaching opportunities, contact potential candidates, as well as access good practice guidance.
Coaching Hampshire & IOW supports local coaches with their education and development - check out the latest courses. For additional details of sport specific courses, contact the relevant National Governing Body of Sport NGB officer and for details of courses and events in your local area, contact your local Sports Development Officer .
Heart of Portsmouth Boxing Club - Coaching case study
Visit the Coaching Hampshire & IOW online calendar of upcoming coaching courses and events.
Courses are delivered throughout the county by a number of delivery agencies, including Local Authority Sports Development, FE Colleges, Universities, Clubs and National Governing Bodies of Sport. To add a course to the Coaching Hampshire & IOW calendar, or to discuss courses in your area, email Coaching Hampshire & IOW, or call 01962 846818.
For list of courses that can be offered nationally as part of the generic programme, visit www.sportscoachuk.org.
Sports Development Manager at Winchester City Council with a responsibility for delivering community programmes to engage people of all ages into sport. Work strands also focus on coaching and development through implementing local activators and junior coaches into the community and enhancing the quality of the local coaching workforce at local sports clubs through CPD training and scholarship schemes.
The Club, Coach & Volunteer Group is tasked with supporting the following four broad aims:
- Building capacity – more clubs, more volunteers and more coaches and officials.
- Improving quality – sharing good practice, promoting industry standards, supporting club development and accreditation.
- Driving workforce development – helping to develop a skilled, active and qualified workforce to meet the needs of a world class community sport system.
- Support the continued development of a Local Coaching Support Network across Hampshire and the Isle Of Wight.
- Board responsibility: NGB representative.
- Background: Athletics Development Officer, Sport Hampshire & IOW since 2003. He is also Head Coach for County Performance Squads and a lead ambassador for coaching.
- Contact: email firstname.lastname@example.org, tel 01962 846025
- Board responsibility: Higher Education representative.
- Background: Senior Lecturer and Course Leader in Sport Development and Coaching, Southampton Solent University
- Contact: email email@example.com, tel 02380 319520
Peter Hull MBE
- Board responsibility: Disability Sports
- Background: Disability Sports Development Officer, Sport Hampshire & IOW. As a retired athlete, having taken part in 2 Paralympic Games and experiencing the pressures involved in achieving excellence from grass roots, Peter became a sports development officer in 1997.
- Contact: email firstname.lastname@example.org, tel 01962 846021
- Board responsibility: Coaching Support Network co-ordinator.
- Background: Partnership Coaching Development Manager, Sport Hampshire & IOW. Head Coach for England Basketball's South and South West Area Performance Centre. He is also an active coach tutor and assessor.
- Contact: email email@example.com, tel 01962 847523
- Board responsibility: Further Education representative.
- Board responsibility: Higher Education representative
- Background: Senior Fellow, Facility of Business, Law & Sport. Richard is an established researcher, author, rugby coach and coach educator and currently supports coach development initiatives for UK Sport and sportscoach UK
- Contact: email firstname.lastname@example.org, tel 01962 827441
- Board responsibility: Higher Education representative
- Background: Senior Lecturer in Sport Psychology and Coaching , Faculty of Business, Sport & Enterprise. Matt has extensive coaching experience in both land and water sports, is a former England Womens' rugby coach and currently provides sport science support to elite athletes and coaches from both individual and team sports.
- Contact: email email@example.com, tel 02380 319272
- Board responsibility: Local Authority representative
- Background: Sports Development Manager at Winchester City Council with a responsibility for delivering community programmes to engage people of all ages into sport. Work strands also focus on coaching and development through implementing local activators and junior coaches into the community and enhancing the quality of the local coaching workforce at local sports clubs through CPD training and scholarship schemes.
- Contact: email firstname.lastname@example.org tel 01962 848532
- Board responsibility: Schools and Further Education representative
- Background: Partnership Development Manager (PDM) for Hampshire and Isle of Wight, Director of Business and Innovation at The Mountbatten School
- Contact: email email@example.com, tel 01794 510225
- Board responsibility: Club and Volunteer representative.
- Background: Sports Development Officer (Club & Volunteers), Sport Hampshire & IOW.
- Contact: email firstname.lastname@example.org, tel 01962 846172
- Board responsibility: County Sports Partnership representative.
- Background: Sports Development Manager, Sport Hampshire & IOW. Responsibilities include NGB and Safeguarding lead officer.
- Contact: email email@example.com tel 01962 845020
Mission Possible: Lead… Coach… Play the Game!
Mission Possible will create a sporting legacy for young people in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight.
Our aim is to recruit and develop 2,012 leaders and coaches and promote the Olympic and Paralympic values.
This exciting project captures the spirit of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games and its values and will unify a number of exciting new initiatives to help create 2012 new coaching and sports leadership opportunities.
Mission Possible has been granted Inspire Mark, the badge of the London 2012 Inspire Programme, which recognises innovative and exceptional projects that are directly inspired by the 2012 Games.
Full details can be found on the Coaching Hampshire & IOW website.
Mission Possible launch
Sport Hampshire & IOW's Mission Possible Agents talk to coaches, officials and players about the Olympic and Paralympic values at the 2011 Hampshire Games and Parallel Games.
The following video illustrates what happens when young people (Mission Possible agents) armed with nothing but their wit, enthusiasm, passion for sport and a couple of Flip Minis can do when given a seemingly impossible mission.
Coaching Development Manager
Sports Project Assistant