Andover: Newbury Street to Chantry Street improvements
5 November 2014
The proposals cover Newbury Street to Chantry Street, including the upper part of the High Street that is open to traffic. See details and plans below.
Expected start date
The proposals are to:
- improve the footways and road surfacing throughout the area
- formalise crossing opportunities for pedestrians who access the town for work, shopping or to St Mary’s Church
- slightly raise the road level to encourage traffic to travel more slowly through the streets
- discourage unnecessary through traffic
- make the area more attractive for all its users whilst maintaining provision for delivery vehicles and access to business and residential premises
The project is being proposed jointly by Hampshire County Council and Test Valley Borough Council.
It is funded by
financial contributions from building developers secured through the Town Access Plan
a government grant from the Local Sustainable Transport Fund
Exhibition of plans and public consultation
There was an exhibition of the plans and a public consultation in 2013.