Andover: Newbury Street to Chantry Street improvements
Updated 25 February 2014
The proposals cover Newbury Street to Chantry Street, including the upper part of the High Street that is open to traffic.
Expected start date
Start date is 23 February 2015. Works expected to be finished by the end of July 2015.
The proposals are to:
- provide accessibility improvements for the benefit of pedestrians and cyclists in the town centre, including widening footways and improving and formalising raised crossing facilities to slow traffic
- improve road surfacing throughout the area and reduce the road width to reduce traffic speeds and to discourage through traffic.
- enhance the street scene by improving the quality of surfacing, signing and landscaping, and by the introduction of gateway features
- maintain access for delivery vehicles and business and residential premises by providing formalised loading and unloading facilities and by creating a short stay car parking space in Chantry Street
- formalise crossing opportunities for pedestrians who access the town for work, shopping or to St Mary’s church
The project is being proposed jointly by Hampshire County Council and Test Valley Borough Council.
It is funded by
- financial contributions from building developers secured through the Town Access Plan
- a government grant from the Local Sustainable Transport Fund
- Local Enterprise Partnership (EM3 LEP) Sustainable Transport Funding
Exhibition of plans and public consultation
There was an exhibition of the plans and a public consultation in 2013.