Locks Heath - Hunts Pond Road Traffic Calming Scheme
Hampshire County Council are to implement this traffic calming safety scheme as part of the A27 Park Gate Pedestrian and Cycle Improvements scheme which is due to start on site on 15 April 2013 and be completed early in August.
The proposed scheme
The proposed scheme aims to reduce accidents and vehicle speeds along Hunts Pond Road between the A27 and Abshot Road Roundabout. It comprises of a series of narrowings (pinch points) along the northern section, similiar to those on the southern section of Hunts Pond Road between Abshot Road and Warsash Road.
The pinch points will narrow the carriageway through the features to 4.5m and provide improvements to crossing facilities where required (North of Admirals Road and South of Longacres).
The pinch points are designed to allow two cars to pass each other safely at a reduced speed and to operate on a give and take basis when larger vehicles need to pass. They do not give priority to any vehicle. The ain is to reduce accidents along the route by encouraging lower traffic speeds.
The scheme drawings are available to be viewed and downloaded below. They are also available in hard copy Lockswood Library, Lockswood Centre, Locks Heath District Centre, Southampton, SO31 6DX.
The County Council has considered alternative measures for this section of Hunts Pond Road including "vertical" traffic calming measures such as speed cushions or tables (commonly called speed bumps).
However, because of considerations such as the route being part of a bus route , we think that the proposed scheme is the most appropriate. We also think that replicating existing traffic calming features along the route will help send a more consistent message on speed and safety to road users.
- Drawing Number 101: Proposed measures from junction with the A27 to Beverley Close 299kb
- Drawing Number 102: Proposed measures from Birchen Road to Lodge Road 659kb
- Drawing Number 103: Proposed measures from Montpelier Close to Church Road 231kb
- Drawing Number 104: Proposed measures from Lodge Road to Abshot Road 229kb
- Drawing Number 105: Proposed sign detail and location at the junction with Warsash Road 98kb
- Drawing Number 106: Pinch Point Detail 89kb