Improving access to Fareham and Gosport, and potential Stubbington bypass
Updated 30 October 2014
Executive Member decision day 4 November 2014
On 4 November 2014 the Executive Member for Economy, Transport and Environment will consider a report on the summer public consultation.
Results of summer 2014 public consultation
The results of the public consultation exercise which ended on 4 July 2014 are now available:
- 75% of respondents supported the preferred route for the Stubbington Bypass
- 81% of respondents supported the preferred route for the southern section of Newgate Lane
- Download Access to Fareham and Gosport full consultation report 4 MB
Public consultation 9 June to 4 August 2014
The consultation set out proposals for:
- Stubbington Bypass: preferred route linking Titchfield gyratory and Titchfield Road to Gosport Road and Peel Common roundabout
- Peel Common roundabout: interim (phase 1) improvements
- Newgate Lane southern section: ‘eastern alignment’ improvement linking to Peel Common roundabout
- A27 Corridor Improvements: phases 1 and 2 junction capacity
- improvements and upgrading to dual carriageway A27 Corridor phase 3 junction improvements only (no dualling)
The consultation document showing all the plans and proposals can still be downloaded:
Exhibition dates June to July 2014
The plans were exhibited between 9 June and 31 July at nine staffed exhibitions and at three unstaffed exhibitions.
March 2014: Executive Member decision brings Stubbington Bypass closer
At a decision day meeting on 17 March 2014 the Executive Member for Economy, Transport and Environment approved preferred options for four strategic transport infrastructure schemes to improve access to Fareham and Gosport. The four schemes are:
- Stubbington Bypass
- Peel Common roundabout
- Newgate Lane southern section
- the A27 Corridor
The Executive Member decided that a further round of public consultation should be undertaken in June and July 2014 as set out above.
Newgate Lane northern section improvements
For the Newgate Lane northern section improvements please see the separate Newgate Lane page.
About the 2013 public consultation
In 2013 Hampshire County Council ran a public consultation on proposals to improve Newgate Lane and the western access to Gosport including a Stubbington bypass. The consultation ended on 9 September 2013. The full report on the consultation results is available below.
The proposals aim to help address existing traffic problems on the Gosport peninsula to improve strategic east west and north south routes and to enhance access to the Solent Enterprise Zone.
In the consultation the County Council:
- invited early views from residents and businesses on possible routes for the Stubbington bypass and related improvements
- presented detailed plans for the proposed improvements to the northern section of Newgate Lane between Palmerston Drive and Tanners Lane
- asked for views on interim measures to improve the Peel Common roundabout
- Download the full 2014 report on the consultation results 4 MB
- Download the original consultation document 7 MB=
Newgate Lane (northern section)
Detailed proposals have been developed for a major improvement scheme for the B3385 Newgate Lane between and including the junctions with Palmerston Drive at the northern end and Peel Common roundabout to the south.
Peel Common Junction
Interim improvements to Peel Common junction include the provision of traffic light controls on the roundabout and revised pedestrian, cycle and bus stop facilities. Public views will help inform the technical work on further development of these plans which will be subject to further consultation within the local area.
Western Access to Gosport including a Stubbington Bypass
This includes improvements to the A27 between Titchfield and Segensworth and a bypass for the village of Stubbington. Initial work has identified three principal route corridors for a Stubbington bypass.
improving the B3334 Gosport Road from Peel Common roundabout, then providing a new junction with a bypass route to the east of Stubbington, and linking via a new road junction into the B3334 Titchfield Road to the north of Stubbington
providing a new bypass route from the B3385 Newgate Lane at a point to the north of the Peel Common waste water treatment plant, to the south-western corner of the HMS Collingwood site, following its western boundary, and then turning west towards a new road junction at the B3334 Titchfield Road north of Stubbington
improving the existing Longfield Avenue from its junction with Newgate Lane westwards to a point near the north-western corner of the HMS Collingwood site, where the route leaves Longfield Avenue and heads west towards a new junction with the B3334 Titchfield Road north of Stubbington