Story Sack 4 - The Hungry Caterpillar
A story sack based on the book The Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle in which the Hungry caterpillar eats his way through the week, becoming bigger all the time until he emerges as a butterfly. The story sack useful both during and outside the literacy hour and can be used as a resource for literacy and drama, where pupils could be encouraged to take the roles of different characters and act out their parts for the class.
Key Learning objectives
Speaking and Listening
- To encourage pupils to explore the story using speaking and listening skills.
- Links to En1 for Key Stage 1 and 2 of the National Curriculum framework.
- To enable pupils to engage with language by looking at sequences of words, for example the days of the week.
- Links to learning objectives for Literacy in the foundation stage
- Links to En2 for Key Stage 1 and 2 of the National Curriculum framework.
Story Sack Contents
The Very Hungry Caterpillar contains the book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, an audio tape of the story, teachers’ notes and suggestions for guided reading, activities (for example sequencing games, matching games, alphabet activities), caterpillar hand puppet, toy food, cocoon and butterfly.
Hiring Talking Boxes or Story Sacks
Collect on a Monday between 12pm and 5pm, and return on a Friday before 5pm.
Closed 1pm to 1.30pm.
To discuss your needs or to make a booking contact Alexandra Walker tel 01962 826725.
Hire charges for Story Sacks
Hampshire County Council schools
- £12.50 for 1 week
- £20 for 2 weeks
- £30 for 3 weeks
Non Hampshire County Council schools and private hire
- £15 for 1 week
- £25 for 2 weeks
- £35 for 3 weeks