Household waste recycling centres: have your say
The public consultation closed on Friday 22 August 2014. Please check back in the autumn to see a statement of results and next steps (see below for more details).
The HWRC service costs around £10 million a year to run, so we have been looking at different options that will enable us to continue delivering a high quality service while reducing overall costs. A new management contract is due to start in 2015, providing an opportunity to introduce new services and policies that can help to deliver future savings or deliver an income to recover some of the costs of the service.
The six options were chosen following a full assessment of our existing HWRC network, site user surveys, focus groups, testing of cost models and research into best practice from other authorities.
The options being considered are:
- Closing one or more sites that do not represent good value for money.
- Introducing measures to reduce the amount of trade waste wrongfully disposed of at sites
- Accepting waste from small local businesses for a fee.
- Charging for the disposal of DIY waste to help recover some of the cost of dealing with these waste types.
- Reviewing our site opening hours to negotiate lower management costs
- Working with charities or communities to increase reuse of furniture and other items
What happens next?
The outcomes of the consultation will be made public no later than 14 November 2014.
Some or all of the options presented here could be introduced as part of the new HWRC management contract, which is due to start in April 2015. No decisions have been made yet, and your feedback will directly inform the recommendations made to the County Council’s Executive Member for Economy, Transport and Environment.
It is expected that a report making recommendations based on the findings of the consultation and other considerations from the County Council’s review of the service and business cases will be taken to the Executive Member for Economy, Transport and Environment Decision Day in late 2014.
Any service changes will be phased in over the course of the new contract starting in April 2015.
For more information email email@example.com.