Waste and Recycling

Items not accepted at Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs)

Hampshire's Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRC) accept a wide range of materials for recycling and household waste. However the following materials will not be accepted at HWRCs:

Material Alternative disposal routes

Car Tyres

Tyres can no longer be disposed of in landfill sites, and will not be accepted at our sites.

They should be taken to a local garage or tyre and exhaust centre where they will be disposed of safely (a small charge may apply). When you purchase new tyres the garage may take the old ones.

They could also be taken to a car breakers, but ring first to check.

Explosives or Ammunition

HWRCs are not licensed to accept ammunition or explosives. Please contact your local police station for advice.


If you have out-of-date or damaged flares, first contact the place where you originally bought the flares. They may operate a 'take back' scheme.

If not, the Solent Maritime Rescue Co-ordination Centre are able to accept small amounts of out of date or damaged flares. Call first on 02392 552100, to find your nearest disposal site and its opening times. You'll have to deliver the flares to the disposal site at an agreed time.

Japanese Knotweed

Japanese Knotweed and soil contaminated with it and some other controlled plants cannot be accepted at sites under any circumstances.

Please contact the Environment Agency for disposal advice.


Take back to your local dispensing chemist.

Petrol, diesel and paraffin

Petrol, diesel and paraffin will not be accepted at any HWRCs in Hampshire. They are flammable, hazardous wastes and no sites are licensed to accept them.

Reuse where possible - just because something is not useful to you anymore, does not mean that has no use, so try asking your friends and family. If not, a local garage or motoring society may be able to take it (a small charge may apply).  

They could also be taken to a car breakers, but ring first to check.