Waste and Recycling

Waste acceptance at Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs)

Hampshire's Household Waste Recycling Centres accept a wide range of materials for recycling.. All sites accept a standard range of materials, while some of the larger sites can accept additional items such as hazardous household waste materials. Please click on the icons below for more information on what can be accepted.

Different containers and areas are provided onsite to ensure as much as possible is separated for recycling, but if you are unsure what to do with a waste item then please do ask site staff.

Please note that the restriction on soil, rubble and DIY waste applies to: soil and rubble, wood and timber, plasterboard, and scrap metal. Restrictions also apply on the deposit of paint, and hazardous household waste.

If you need to dispose of larger amounts, or materials not listed here, you may like to make use of our list of alternative disposal options. There are a few material types that cannot be accepted at our sites, including car tyres, explosives, and petrol.

WRAP green waste logo WRAP textiles logo WRAP logo furniture WRAP cardboard logo WRAP glass logo WRAP logo weee
WRAP batteries logo WRAP icon lightbulb WRAP rubble logo WRAP wood logo WRAP logo metal WRAP paint logo
WRAP logo haz WRAP car battery WRAP oil logo WRAP logo gas bottle WRAP cooking oil icon Icon for animal waste

  • WRAP green waste logo

    Green garden waste

    Material under a diameter of 100mm (four inches) should be placed in the green waste container. From here, green garden waste is composted into Pro-Grow soil conditioner which can be bought from any HWRC.

    Turf and other material with a diameter greater than 100mm (four inches) cannot easily be composted and should be placed in the household waste container for final disposal.


  • WRAP textiles logo

    Clothes and textiles

    Most HWRCs have a clothing and textiles bank. Clothes in good condition may be collected by charities for resale, or donated to aid projects in developing countries. Other textiles can be reused or recycled as industrial rags and cleaning cloths.


  • WRAP logo furniture


    Household furniture in good condition can be offered for reuse in the onsite sales area. Please speak to a member of staff if you think you have something suitable for reuse.


  • WRAP cardboard logo

    Newspapers, magazines and cardboard

    Cardboard, newspapers and magazines, and telephone directories can all be recycled at your local HWRC. Please place these items in the Cardboard bin.

    Mixed paper and cardboard is transported to mills where it is turned into various forms of packaging.


  • WRAP glass logo

    Glass bottles and jars

    All HWRCs have a bottle bank. Glass is recycled into new bottles and jars, or crushed and used as a building aggregate. If the bank is full and awaiting emptying, please speak to a member of staff and do not leave any bottles or jars on the ground next to the bin.

    Pyrex, window glass, and other heat-treated glass is not recyclable and should be placed in the household waste container for final disposal.


  • WRAP logo weee

    Waste electrical and electronic equipment

    Household electrical items such as fridges, freezers, televisions, computer monitors, large electrical appliances such as cookers and washing machines, and small items such as mobile phones and hairdryers are accepted at HWRCs.

    Items are sent to specialist reprocessors where the various elements are stripped down and recycled where possible or disposed of safely. Unfortunately we are unable to sell electrical items for reuse to the general public.


  • WRAP batteries logo

    Household batteries

    Household batteries should be placed in the designated container - please ask site staff for advice. All types of batteries from household items are acceptable, including cadmium and nickel varieties. From here they are sent for recycling into their various elements.


  • WRAP icon lightbulb

    Low energy lightbulbs

    Both compact low energy lightbulbs and fluorescent tubes are collected onsite in a special container. They are sent to specialist reprocessors where their various elements are removed and recycled or disposed of safely.


  • WRAP rubble logo

    Soil, rubble and DIY waste

    Soil and rubble is not classified in waste law as household waste, however HWRCs in Hampshire will accept the equivalent of a medium-sized car boot full of waste (approximately the contents of six 30 litre bags) no more than once per month, per household. Soil, rubble and DIY waste must be brought to the site bagged or boxed and then emptied directly into the correct container. The quantity restriction applies whatever vehicle is being used to transport the material.

    Used bricks, loose soil, sand, ceramics, tiles and concrete can be placed in the soil and rubble container. Spent compost should be placed in the green garden waste container.

    Once screened, soil is blended for reuse as topsoil. Rubble is broken down and used as a secondary aggregate.

    Cement, tarmac, clay and turf should be placed in the household waste container for final disposal.


  • Plasterboard logo


    All HWRCs have a dedicated storage container for plasterboard as it must be segregated from other waste types. On arrival at the site, please seek assistance from site staff who will be able to direct you.

    As with other DIY waste, plasterboard is not classified as household waste. Hampshire County Council does however recognise that households may from time to time produce small quantities, and so will accept small incidental off-cuts arising from minor DIY projects only. Householders with a larger volume of plasterboard to dispose of will need to contact an alternative specialist waste company.


  • WRAP wood logo

    Wood and timber

    All HWRCs except Alresford have a container for mixed wood. Most wood types are accepted, including plywood, backboard, oriented strand board, chipboard, MDF, hardboard, softwood and hardwood. Railway sleepers are not accepted. The general use of mixed wood is in energy recovery. Please do not place other items such as glass, plastic or textiles in the wood bin, although metal attachments such as door handles or hinges are acceptable.

    Some wooden items such as furniture can be reused through the onsite sales area. Please ask site staff for further advice


  • WRAP logo metal

    Scrap metal items

    Please place iron and steel items in the ferrous container, and aluminium (including foil) in the non-ferrous container. Please seek assistance from a staff member if you are unsure. Any fluids such as oil must be removed before disposal.

    Metals are sold as scrap and reused by industry.


  • WRAP paint logo


    Non-water based paints (generally identified by an orange hazardous logo) should be placed in the designated container. Water based paints should be placed in the household waste container for final disposal, unless the site has a separate container for paint reuse.

    Paint should be deposited in a suitable, sealed container. A maximum of five litres per household per month can be deposited.


  • WRAP logo haz

    Hazardous household waste

    Hazardous household waste such as pesticides, lawn treatments, white spirit, varnish and antifreeze is accepted at 11 specially licensed sites only: Alton, Andover, Basingstoke, Bordon, Farnborough, Marchwood, Netley, Segensworth, Southampton, Portsmouth and Winchester.

    Such items must be delivered in a suitable sealed container and placed in the designated area - please ask a staff member to show you. A maximum of five litres can be deposited per household per month.


  • WRAP cooking oil icon

    Cooking oil / vegetable oil

    Please place in the designated container by pouring directly into the drum. Used cooking oil is recycled into a patented biofuel LF100 - please see Living Fuels' website for more information.

    Only waste from a household source will be accepted, and a maximum of five litres per household per month is permitted.

    Please note that there is no container to recycle cooking oil at New Alresford HWRC.


  • WRAP car battery

    Car batteries

    Please place in the designated container for safe disposal.

    Only waste from a household source will be accepted.


  • WRAP oil logo

    Engine oil

    This must be delivered in a suitable sealed container. A maximum of 10 litres can be deposited per household per six months.

    Only waste from a household source will be accepted.


  • WRAP logo gas bottle

    Gas bottles

    Please contact the manufacturer in the first instance to check if they are able to take back the item for reuse/refilling or disposal. HWRCs will only accept gas bottles up to 15kg in size, either propane or butane. Balloon gas bottles are also accepted.

    Other gas bottles or air cylinders are not accepted. HWRCs will only accept SCUBA diving bottles if the manufacturer will not take them back.


  • WRAp logo fire extinguisher

    Fire extinguishers

    HWRCs will only accept fire extinguishers if the manufacturer will not take them back. Please attempt to contact the manufacturer first before bringing to a HWRC.

    Only extinguishers from a household source will be accepted.


  • WRAp logo fire extinguisher

    Cement bonded asbestos (CBA)

    CBA is only accepted at five specially licensed HWRCs: Andover, Basingstoke, Efford, Netley and Portsmouth. HWRCs will accept no more than 15 sheets, of no greater size than 120cm by 60cm. This is approximately equal to the amount that comes from a standard single garage roof.

    CBA must be double-wrapped in plastic sheeting or small pieces must be double bagged and sealed with tape to avoid the release of asbestos fibres. You must call the site in advance to confirm that there is adequate space to store it safely, otherwise you may be turned away upon arrival. More information is available in this leaflet.

    No other types of asbestos will be accepted.


  • Icon for animal waste

    Animal waste

    Only animal waste from the keeping of domestic animals is accepted. A maximum of two bin liners can be deposited per household per day, and waste must be double bagged before disposal. Please inform site staff of the waste type before placing in the household waste bin for final disposal.

    Waste from livestock, breeding, boarding, stabling or exhibiting of animals is not accepted.


  • Non-recyclable household waste

    All other household waste (except items that cannot be accepted for any reason) should be placed in the designated container for final disposal. Some HWRCs also have a second container for non-recyclable items into which 'combustible' (burnable) items can be placed. This ensures the items are sent for energy recovery instead of landfill, and transforms the waste into electricity. Please note that items larger in size than 90cm x 70cm x 70cm (equivalent to a full black bag) are not suitable for energy recovery, so please heed the instructions of site staff on where to deposit your waste items.