Workplace Travel

When is a Travel Plan required?

With the exception of residential developments, travel plans are required in conjunction with planning applications for all new developments where a Traffic Assessment (TA) is required. A travel plan will be required for residential applications of 100 or more households. In all other cases the thresholds for TA and therefore a travel plan are to be found in HCC parking standards.

For these developments, a travel plan must be submitted at the point of submitting the planning application.

  • Travel plans may also be required for developments under the TA threshold. The criteria below are a reflection of the fact that some smaller scale developments can have significant transport impacts. A travel plan will be required for:

  • Any development in or near an Air Quality Management Area

  • Any development in an area that has been identified within the Local Transport Plan (LTP) for the delivery of specific initiatives or targets for the reduction of traffic, or the promotion of public transport, walking or cycling

  • Any area specified in the Local Development Framework (LDF), where it is known that the cumulative impact of development proposals is a cause for concern

  • The provision of new or extended school and other educational facilities

  • An extension to an existing development that causes the travel impact of the site to exceed the threshold for a TA

  • All instances where the local planning authority requires it

Requirements for Travel Plans

Travel Plan Type

Interim/ Framework


Workplace Travel Plan Occupier(s) Know


Workplace Travel Plan Occupier (s) Unknown


Workplace Travel Plan for a change of use/ extension


Mixed use development


Residential Travel Plan


School Travel Plan


Leisure Travel Plan Occupier known


Leisure Travel Plan Occupier unknown


NHS Health/ Site Travel Plan


Station Travel Plan


Event Travel Plan