At Hampshire County Council
- What is an apprenticeship
Apprenticeships are a mixture of on-the-job and off-the-job training. On the job, you will gain key transferable skills like working in teams, problem-solving, communication and using new technology. Off the job you will spend time working towards a recognised Apprenticeship Framework.
- How old do I have to be?
You have to be16+
- How long will the apprenticeship last?
Your apprenticeship with Hampshire County Council will be for a minimum of 12 months and during that time you will be fully supported by your manager who will ensure that you progress in your academic studies and develop the skills necessary for your job.
- Will I be paid?
Yes, but the amount depends on the opportunity you have applied for. Typically, a starting salary for an apprentice at Hampshire County Council is £13,615 per annum.
- Type of opportunities
We provide a number of apprenticeship programmes that could help you work towards a professional and rewarding career. We offer hands on training, supported learning and at the end of your apprenticeship you will have gained nationally recognised qualifications.
There are lots of apprenticeships available in many different industries, which could lead you on to a higher level apprenticeship, higher education or skilled employment and further training.
There are three apprenticeship levels:
- Intermediate Apprenticeship (Level 2) - equivalent to five good GCSEs
- Advanced Apprenticeship (Level 3) - equivalent to two A Levels
- Higher Apprenticeship (Level 4) - equivalent to a degree.
- Helping me to get qualifications at the same time
During study days away from your job, you will spend time working towards a recognised Apprenticeship Framework.
- Video case studies
- Watch a video of apprentices at work at Manor Farm listen to their experiences and skills they gained
- Apprenticeship video case studies - find out from young people at Southampton City Council what an apprenticeship is like.
- How to apply
Search the National Apprenticeship Service website for vacancies and apply online.
If you can’t find an opportunity right now, in the meantime you can join our youth talent bank, telling us what type of roles and opportunities you are interested in. We can then contact you if an opportunity comes up in the future that we think you might like.