Residential, Nursing and Extra Care

Other housing choices

If you are finding it hard to manage in your current house or flat you may want to consider altering it to suit your needs. You may feel however, that moving to accommodation that is designed to meet your needs is a better solution, especially if you are not ready to move into permanent residential care.

Who can I discuss my housing needs with?

You could contact your Locality Housing Officer personally to discuss your housing needs and for help finding and accessing relevant housing schemes in your area that may interest you.

However people already receiving help from Adult Services can ask their care managers about housing, and then the care manager would liaise with Locality Housing Officers (LHO) to identify appropriate housing for them.

General needs accommodation

This is classed as mainstream housing. Tenants would have a long term tenancy, usually an assured tenancy with a Housing Association or a local authority. Very often people with disabilities aim to remain housed in this accommodation on a long term basis unless their needs change so that they can no longer manage independent living. Tenants can be offered floating support from various agencies to help with bills, budgeting and form filling.

Other choices

Extra Care housing

Extra Care housing is the latest development in care for older people, offering a secure place to live - but with care and support on hand.

Extra Care housing offers individual one or two bedroom flats within a larger development. and care and support services available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Extra Care also has the benefit of allowing couples – who may have very different care needs - to stay together.

The schemes are for older people, usually in their 70s and 80s. However, all schemes are different and some cater for a wider age range.

For many people, Extra Care is the ideal solution as they can have their own home, but with the added reassurance that help is at hand. Extra Care also allows people to move out of houses, where they are finding it difficult to cope, into a home where they can be secure and live independently

Find out more about Extra Care Housing


Sheltered housing

Sheltered housing is mainly for older people and usually takes the form of a group of small bungalows or flats supervised by a Scheme Manager, who can give you some help and support in an emergency.

To find out more about sheltered housing near you, contact your local councils, housing department.


Supported housing

There are some ‘group living’ schemes which offer communal accommodation to small groups of people in a similar situation - a kind of house-share.

These schemes are mainly for people with learning disabilities and for people with mental health problems. Group living schemes are run largely by voluntary organisations or housing associations.

For more information on these schemes contact your local Adult Services office.

You can also find housing related support on the Supporting People website



Search Care choice

advanced search | search help

What am I entitled to?

The local authority is here to help everyone understand their needs and, if required, provide an assessment.

For more information about what help you are entitled to, please see the Who can get help from Adult Services web pages.

Try our online self assessment

Related links

  • -a one stop shop for information and frequently asked questions relating to UK tenancy agreements