Financial help and advice

Financial support for carers

There is a range of financial support including benefits and tax credits that you may be able to receive as a carer.

Financial support from Hampshire

Direct Payments for carers are a cash payment given directly to the carer by Adult Services. This will enable you, as the carer, to buy in services that have been identified as being needed through your carer’s assessment and should give you more choice, control and flexibility over your life.

A carer’s direct payment is not for services for the person you are caring for but for your own social, educational, training, recreational needs or wellbeing.

Benefits and tax credits

The GOV.UK web page Carers and disability benefits explains the support that is available and includes information on the following

Carer's Allowance

Carer's Allowance is paid to people who look after someone who is disabled. You do not have to be related to, or live with the person you care for and you may qualify if

  • you are aged 16 or over
  • you spend at least 35 hours looking after someone who gets Attendance Allowance or the middle or higher rate of Disability Living Allowance

For more information see the Carers Allowance page on the GOV.UK web site.

Look on Carer's Allowance Unit for contact details.
Tel: 0345 608 4321


Carers Credit

This is a National Insurance credit which helps carers build up qualifying years for the basic State Pension and additional State Pension. To qualify for Carer's Credit you must care for one or more disabled people for a total of 20 hours or more per week.

Each person you care for must receive one of the following:
  • Disability Living Allowance care component at the middle or highest rate
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment - daily living component, at the standard or enhanced rate
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

For more information see Carers Credit on the GOV.UK web site


Search Care choice

advanced search | search help

What am I entitled to?

The local authority is here to help everyone understand their needs and, if required, provide an assessment.

For more information about what help you are entitled to, please see the Who can get help from Adult Services web pages.

Try our online self assessment