What help is there?
As a carer you may be able to get extra help both for yourself and the person you care for. You can get help and support from the Health Service as well as an assessment of your needs from the Adult Services Department. There are also many organisations that can offer support, information and advice.
Find national and local help and support
Carers Direct is designed to help you get the help and support you need as a carer. It offers all the information you should need to get the financial help you’re entitled to, as well as advice on getting a break from caring, going to work and much more.
Try their interactive carer self-assessment quiz which will take you through six questions and give you some practical tips on how to get started.
- Contact Carers Direct Tel: 0808 802 0202
- Read more about Carers Direct
County wide organisations
The Princess Royal Trust for Carers - information and advice for carers across Hampshire
Tel: 01264 835246
Tel: 01794 519495
- Carers Active Listening Line non-judgemental and confidential support run by Carers Together (below)
- Good Neighbours Support Service - voluntary groups which offer neighbourly help to people in their local communities
Southampton Carers Support Line
Tel: 023 8023 3344
Carers centres offer contact with other carers, local information and support
- Andover - Tel: 01264 835246
- Basingstoke - Tel: 01256 353290
- Eastleigh - Tel: 023 8090 2404
- Fareham & Gosport - Tel: 023 9250 1592
- Havant & Petersfield - Tel: 023 9259 5455
- Meon Valley - Tel: 01489 895444
- New Forest - Tel: 023 8028 6342
- Portsmouth Tel: 023 9285 1864 or Portsmouth Carers Centre website
- Romsey - Tel: 01794 519495
- Winchester - Tel: 01962 842034
- Princess Royal Trust for Carers is a national organisation of carers support services with a network of independently managed centres across the UK. The centres provide a range of services, including information and advice on benefits, care and access to services, advocacy, support and practical help for carers
- National Careline - filling the information and advice gap for older people and their relatives who are seeking to find their way through the Tel: 0800 0699 784
Carers UK is one of the national organisations for carers across the UK. They are instrumental in helping Government in developing policy and providing carers across the UK wit information.
Tel: 0808 808 7777
Services that can help carers
There may be services provided by Hampshire County Council which could help you. These services can only be provided following a carer’s assessment and may range from:
- Planned short breaks
- Emotional support from other carers or from people who understand such as Carers’ Support Workers
- Help with caring tasks
- Financial benefits advice
- Back care advice
If Adult Services can give you practical help, you may want to consider using Direct Payments which allows you to organise the help you need yourself.
Carer’s assessments are undertaken by Hampshire County Council and will look, not only at the support available from Hampshire County Council but also from a range of private and voluntary organisations.
For more information or to request a carers assessment read the carers assessment web page