Living with disabilities and long term conditions


An advocate is a person who supports you and helps you to explain and say what you want. They help you to ensure that your views are heard, so that your problems can be sorted out. They can:

  • help you to put your views and feelings across about decisions that are being made about your life.

  • speak on your behalf if that’s what you want.

  • help you make a complaint.

  • give you information and advice about your rights and any worries you have as well as help you make choices about what is best for you.

All advocacy services are independent and are there to represent you. You can find an advocacy group on the Solent Minds website

Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy Service (IMCA)

The IMCA Service represent people who lack capacity to make certain important decisions when there is no one else who can be consulted.


Search Care choice

advanced search | search help

What am I entitled to?

The local authority is here to help everyone understand their needs and, if required, provide an assessment.

For more information about what help you are entitled to, please see the Who can get help from Adult Services web pages.

Try our online self assessment