Living with disabilities and long term conditions

Support organisations for people with a hearing loss


All public libraries have induction loop systems and offer internet access through The People’s Network of free public access computers. People with internet access at home can search the library catalogue and request books online, which is useful if you are worried about communicating effectively within the library.

Police Link Officers for Deaf People (PLOD)

Police Link Officers are available with sign language, lipspeaking and Deafblind manual skills to communicate with people, to give information and advice, and to provide a link to other police departments.

Hampshire Fire and Rescue Services (HFRS)

HFRS offer a free home fire safety check (HFSC) and give information on home fire safety and fire escape plans. If you would like a HFSC please contact them directly on 02380 626809 or contact your Sensory Loss team who will forward your request on.

Organisations, groups, clubs and benefits information.

Local organisations and groups


National organisations

  • British Deaf Association - representing the sign language community, aiming to ensure that sign language users have the same rights, responsibilities, opportunities and quality of life as everyone else.
  • British Telecom inclusion page - provides support, advice and information on BT's products and services.
  • British Tinnitus Association - provides free telephone support, advice and information from health professionals, as well as funding research in the UK.
    Freephone - 0800 018 0527
  • Connevans -deaf equipment page
    Telephone - 01737 247571
  •  -"the biggest deaf internet search engine"
  • deafPLUS - striving to ensure that the needs of all deaf people are met
  • Deafness Research UK - is the medical charity for deaf and hard of hearing people whose aim is to find cures for these distressing and neglected disabilities.
    Tel - 020 7833 1733
  • Hearing Dogs change lives, alerting their deaf owners to sounds we take for granted, providing greater independence, confidence and security.
  • Hear-It - a European website for hearing loss information.
  • Lipreading - an aid to communication for Deaf and hard of hearing people
  • Lipspeakers - hearing people who have been professionally trained to be easy to lipread
  • Meniere’s Society - helps with information and support if you have the following systems;vertigo, tinnitus and deafness.
    Helpline - 0845 120 2975
  • The National Association of Deafened People - UK organisation representing deafened people, providing information and support to enable them to regain their independence and quality of life.
    Telephone: 0845 055 9663
  • National Deaf services - Counselling services for deaf sign language users
  • RNID (Royal National Institute for the Deaf)
    RNID Information Line (Freephone) Telephone - 0808 808 0123 Textphone - 0808 808 9000 email -
  • Telephone Preference Service - to register telephone numbers to reduce number of unwanted/unsolicited phone calls.
    TPS Registration line - 0845 070 0707
  • Text Relay - connects people using a textphone with people using a telephone or another textphone.
    Telephone - 0800 7311 888

Benefits information

There are a number of financial benefits that people with disabilities can apply for. The main benefits specific to disability are Disability Living Allowance and Attendance Allowance. It is important to note that these benefits are related to a person’s needs and not the type of health condition/disability.  

You do not need to have a carer/paid helper already in place – these benefits are designed to offer people financial assistance in getting the help they require.

For more information

Please note that these benefits are not automatic - you need to apply for them. If you require support in completing the application form contact


Search Care choice

advanced search | search help

What am I entitled to?

The local authority is here to help everyone understand their needs and, if required, provide an assessment.

For more information about what help you are entitled to, please see the Who can get help from Adult Services web pages.

Try our online self assessment