Financial help and advice

Paying for care services that support you to live at home

In most circumstances people will need to contribute towards the cost of their care services. There are no fixed charges and how much people pay depends on their personal financial circumstances.

There are benefits for which you, or someone in your household, may be eligible to help meet the cost of care services that support you to live at home.

If you, or the person you are caring for, find coping with daily activities such as personal care or meal preparation difficult you should contact Adult Services where trained advisors will discuss your situation. Providing it is identified that you require further support, you will be referred onto the appropriate care management team. If you meet the Council’s eligibility criteria for social care you can have your services arranged by us.

What will the social worker will talk about?

  • Self Directed Support - assessment of your needs to find out how much money it will cost for these needs to be met
  • your Support Plan - made with the help of your social worker, family or friends, setting out how you want the money to be spent to meet your needs
  • agreement of your plan by the Council
  • your Personal Budget - the amount of money agreed by the Council to meet your needs

How much might I need to pay?

You may need to pay something towards your Personal Budget, depending on your financial circumstances. You may be entitled to some services that are free of charge. The Council will therefore work out how much of the budget you may need to pay towards. This is called your chargeable Personal Budget (or cPB)


Search Care choice

advanced search | search help

What am I entitled to?

The local authority is here to help everyone understand their needs and, if required, provide an assessment.

For more information about what help you are entitled to, please see the Who can get help from Adult Services web pages.

Try our online self assessment