Financial help and advice

Making a contribution to your personal budget

Once you have been advised by the Council that you are eligible for social care services the amount of money it will cost to meet your needs is agreed, this is called your Personal Budget.

You will then have a visit from the FAB (Financial Assessments and Benefits) team who will carry out a financial assessment. Once this has been completed we will write to let you know the weekly amount you need to pay towards the cost of your care.

This will be the lower of either:
  • your maximum weekly contribution
  • your chargeable Personal Budget (cPB)– the amount of money you will need to pay towards your care services

This could mean:
  • you will not have to pay anything towards the costs of your care (example 1)
  • you will have to pay something, and we will make up the rest (example 2)
  • you will have to pay the full cost of your care (example 3)

Example 1:Your maximum contribution is ‘nil’

  • your cPB is £300
  • your maximum contribution is £0
  • you will put in nothing towards your cPB
  • the Council will put in £300

Example 2:Your cPB is more than your maximum contribution

  • your cPB is £300
  • your maximum contribution is £100
  • you will put in the lower amount of £100
  • the Council will put in £200

Example 3: your maximum contribution is more than your cPB

  • your cPB is £200
  • your maximum contribution is £300
  • you will put in the lower amount of £200
  • the Council does not put anything in

We will spread the cost of your contribution evenly across the year so that you pay the same amount each week.


How and when do I start paying?

It will really help if you can pay monthly by Direct Debit. If not there are a number of different ways to pay, to suit your circumstances and preferences.

If you need to pay anything, the FAB team member will ask you which methods of paying you want to use:

  • Direct Debit – the amount is automatically deducted from your bank or building society account every month until you cancel the arrangement.
  • Paying by phone – with debit or credit card. Either by telephoning the number shown on your monthly bill or via the internet, details of which are also shown on the bill.
  • Paying by post – by tearing off the slip from the bottom of your bill with a cheque made payable to Hampshire County Council.
  • ‘Pay as you go’ – at any post office using a free Adult Services ‘paying-in-card’.  You will be told what your weekly amount is and you can pay weekly, fortnightly or at four-weekly intervals in cash.

A relative or friend can do this on your behalf if you want them to. You will get a receipt each time you make a payment and there is no charge for using the card.


Search Care choice

advanced search | search help

What am I entitled to?

The local authority is here to help everyone understand their needs and, if required, provide an assessment.

For more information about what help you are entitled to, please see the Who can get help from Adult Services web pages.

Try our online self assessment