Financial help and advice

Personal Budgets for care at home services

Hampshire Adult Services needs to approve the Support Plan you have made with your social worker, family or friends setting out how you want the money to be spent to meet your social care at home needs. We will then agree on the amount of money needed to meet your needs. This is called your Personal Budget.

Depending on your financial circumstances you may need to pay something towards your Personal Budget. This is called your chargeable Personal Budget (or cPB) and you will need a financial assessment to work out how much you and the Council will each pay.

Your social worker will arrange a visit from the FAB (Financial Assessments and Benefits) team who will carry out the financial assessment. to work out your maximum weekly contribution.

Making a contribution to your Personal Budget

Once your financial assessment has been completed we will let you know the weekly amount you need to pay towards the cost of your care at home. This will be the lower of either:

  • your maximum weekly contribution

  • your chargeable Personal Budget (cPB)– the amount of money you will need to pay towards your care services

Example 1: Your maximum contribution is ‘nil’

  • your cPB is £300

  • your maximum contribution is £0

  • you will put in nothing towards your cPB

  • the Council will put in £300

Example 2: Your cPB is more than your maximum contribution

  • your cPB is £300

  • your maximum contribution is £100

  • you will put in the lower amount of £100

  • the Council will put in £200

Example 3: Your maximum contribution is more than your cPB

  • your cPB is £200

  • your maximum contribution is £300

  • you will put in the lower amount of £200

  • the Council does not put anything in

You can still decide to provide all the money if you wish.

If you need to pay towards your cPB, we will ask you to pay the same amount each month, preferably through a monthly Direct Debit from your bank account.

If, as a result of your financial assessment, the Council will fund some of your services, you can choose to receive this money as a Direct Payment in order to arrange and pay for your services yourself. Our social worker can explain more about this. If you prefer, you can ask your social worker to organise services for you using the money.

How and when do I start paying?

If you need to pay anything it will really help if you can pay monthly by Direct Debit. If not there are a number of different ways to pay, to suit your circumstances and preferences:

  • Direct Debit – the amount is automatically deducted from your bank or building society account every month until you cancel the arrangement.

  • Pay by phone – with debit or credit card, either by telephoning the number shown on your monthly bill or via the internet, details of which are also shown on the bill.

  • Pay by post – by tearing off the slip from the bottom of your bill with a cheque made payable to Hampshire County Council.

  • ‘Pay as you go’ – at any post office using a free Adult Services ‘paying-in-card’.  You will be told what your weekly amount is and you can pay weekly, fortnightly or at four-weekly intervals in cash

A relative or friend can do this on your behalf if you want them to. You will get a receipt each time you make a payment and there is no charge for using the card.


Search Care choice

advanced search | search help

What am I entitled to?

The local authority is here to help everyone understand their needs and, if required, provide an assessment.

For more information about what help you are entitled to, please see the Who can get help from Adult Services web pages.

Try our online self assessment

Our services in sign language