Direct Payments is money paid by Hampshire County Council to individuals over 16 or carers eligible to receive social care services. It enables people to have greater choice, control and flexibility as to how their care needs are met, allowing people to live more independent lives.
You can receive Direct Payments as an alternative to receiving services from Adult Services which we arrange for you. Direct Payments is not a benefit, nor will it affect any benefits you currently receive. It is not counted as taxable income.
How can they be used?Direct Payments can be used for
- services to meet personal care needs
- support for daily living activities
- employing someone to help you
- supporting carers in their caring role and also to maintain their own health and wellbeing
How can I get Direct Payments?
If you already receive care from Adult Services or are a carer of someone who does, you should contact your social worker directly who can discuss Direct Payments with you further.
If you do not currently receive care from Adult Services, but feel that you would like to find out whether you are eligible to do so please contact Adult Services
Direct Payments: What you need to know
Direct Payments is money paid directly to people getting social care services by Hampshire County Council so they can arrange services or buy equipment for themselves.
Download a copy of Direct Payments. What you need to know 620 kB
What support is available?
If you are already receiving Direct Payments you may find the following links helpful, however if you want to make any changes to your support you should contact your social worker.
- Inland Revenue Employers - including information for new employers
Tel: 0845 60 70 143
Text: 0845 602 1380
acas - promoting employment relations
Tel: 08457 47 47 47
Text Relay dial: 18001 08457 474747
- Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)
Tel: 0844 875 0087
Tel: 0844 499 3740
- Employing Foreign Workers
- Employment advice - Care choice website
- Employer responsibilities - Care choice website
- PANet - Personal Assistants Network
- Skills for Care - helping social care employers to improve their workforce
- The UK visas website
What am I entitled to?
The local authority is here to help everyone understand their needs and, if required, provide an assessment.
For more information about what help you are entitled to, please see the Who can get help from Adult Services web pages.
Try our online self assessment
To find out more about Direct Payments please contact Adult Services.
Telephone: 0300 555 1386