Supporting you to live your life the way you choose to
The emphasis is now on the individual's choice and control over the support services they receive. This means a lot of new developments in how Adult Social Care works.
Self-directed Support is one of the ways in which social care is starting to give more choice and control to people who are entitled to support from Adult Services.
Personalisation of Social Care
In 2008 the a Commission of Inquiry was launched to help shape future services for people in need of support and care. The Commission heard people’s views, stories and experiences of adult social care. Evidence was gathered from local people, carers and national experts about their experiences and the challenges facing care services.
Personalisation’ of social care means shaping support to meet individual needs, including considering their aspirations, family, friends and other resources and support mechanisms around them. It takes into account the individual’s personal responsibilities and their own resources, as well as those available through statutory and other services, to meet their needs in the best way possible.
There are seven steps to self - directed support:
- Completing a supported self-assessment of your needs and finding out how much money it will cost for these needs to be met.
- Making a plan, with the help of your care manager, family or friends, setting out how you want the money to be spent to meet your needs.
- Getting the plan agreed by Hampshire County Council.
- Organising the money - you can choose to have this done on your behalf.
- Organising the support - you can choose to have this done on your behalf.
- Living your life - with the support in place.
- Seeing how it is working and making changes if necessary
What am I entitled to?
The local authority is here to help everyone understand their needs and, if required, provide an assessment.
For more information about what help you are entitled to, please see the Who can get help from Adult Services web pages.
Try our online self assessment
Information to help
To find out more about Self-directed Support download
Intranet link for Hampshire County Council staff guidance pages. This internal link is only accessible to staff whilst logged on to Hantsnet Pages