Safeguarding adults

Protecting people from abuse

What should I do if I suspect abuse?

Don't assume that someone else is doing something about it. Tell someone!

To report abuse telephone:

Hampshire Adult Services on 0300 555 1386 or the police on 101

In an emergency and if it is suspected someone is in immediate danger, 999 should always be called.

If appropriate, you could contact the following organisations that can give confidential advice and support

For older people For people with a learning disability

What will happen once I raise concerns about abuse?

If you contact Adult Services because you suspect that a vulnerable adult is being abused or you are being abused yourself:

  • your report of abuse will be taken seriously
  • your report will be looked into fully and fairly
  • you can get help and support

Adult Services will work closely with other organisations and the person affected to find out as much as possible about what has happened. We will do a number of things which might include:

  • talking to you and other people involved to find out what has happened
  • planning what to do to safeguard the person being abused
  • supporting the person and their carers through the process
  • being available to offer support in the future