Residential, Nursing and Extra Care

Finding the right care home

Having made the decision to move into a residential home you now need to make sure that you choose a home suitable for you. You may want to consider the points below to help you make that choice.

What kind of care do you need?

Some residential care homes offer nursing care and some do not, so it is important to understand what kind of care you need.

Talk to your doctor or hospital consultant for professional advice if you think you need nursing care, or ask the Adult Services department for an assessment of your care needs.

You will also need to know what type of care you will need (for example old age, physical disability, dementia, learning disability) so that you can focus on homes that are registered for these categories. There is more information on the Care homes search page about care categories.

Are you looking for long or short stay?

As well as providing residential care, some homes offer short term stay for respite or convalescence care.

It is important to remember that residential care can often last a long time so you need to bear in mind the implications of any move including its financial impact at the beginning. You may want to think about looking for homes that offer both personal and nursing care so that you could stay in the same home if you need nursing care in the future.

Where do you want to live?

By choosing a care home in the same area as you are currently living would mean that you would still be able to see your friends and keep your doctor. If however, you decide that you would like to move elsewhere you would need to contact the Care Quality Commission for a list of available care homes in that area, or get in touch with the Adult Services department in the relevant local authority.

Care homes vary greatly in their size, some have as many as 100 people while others just have one or two residents. There are also some homes that are willing to accommodate couples in their double rooms.

Do you have pets?

You may have a pet that you would like to take with you. You need to check whether this would be possible or if not, ask if the home will allow others to bring pets in to visit you? If you cannot keep your pet with you, you might ask a family member, neighbour or friend to help.

You could also contact the following organisations who may be able to help

choosing care

Search Care choice

advanced search | search help

What am I entitled to?

The local authority is here to help everyone understand their needs and, if required, provide an assessment.

For more information about what help you are entitled to, please see the Who can get help from Adult Services web pages.

Try our online self assessment