Find your Day Care Centres
Aim of the Service
The overall aim in all of the services provided by Age Concern Hampshire is to give support to enable older people to maintain their optimum independence and live in the environment of their choosing.
A theme running throughout Age Concern Hampshire's service is partnership working with colleagues from health and local authority, as well as the voluntary and independent sector - working collaboratively to make the best use of skills and resources.
Age Concern Hampshire provides 15 Day Care Centres under contract to Hampshire County Council Adult Services Department and Southampton City Council. In addition to this, some clients are self funding through non-profit making charges to recipients.
Our Service Users are older people limited by physical or mental frailty, who are assessed by an Adult Services Care Manager as needing day care and who meet Adult Services Category 1 criteria for service provision and funding. Some Day Care Centres specialise in caring for those with physical disabilities, some are specifically for older people with a mental infirmity and some cater for the needs of both client groups.
The older person's carers also benefit from the respite from caring, which one day affords - a day off or a day out
Transport to and from the Day Care Centre is an integral part of the whole day care provision.
Day Care aims to provide activities and care, which:
- Support independence in activities of daily living (eating, drinking, toileting, walking)
- Provide personal care, when required (help with toileting, feeding, bathing)
- Stimulate memory and mental activity (reminiscence, quizzes, newspapers, games)
- Encourage mobility, muscle strengthening and stability of gait and posture (exercise to music)
- Provide social interaction (games, outings, talks, slide shows, entertainment)
- Give older people a day which they can look forward to, when they can learn new skills and fight the depression caused by loss of loneliness
The following is an extract from Customer Charter and Code of Values, a full copy of which can be obtained from Age Concern Hampshire if required.
Age Concern Hampshire recognises your rights to:
- Information on Services
- Freedom of choice
- Control over what happens in your home, or to you, if you attend an Age Concern Day Care centre or footcare clinic
Age Concern Hampshire will:
- Arrange high quality care in the Day Care centres through carefully selected and trained staff who will have genuine care for you
- Support their staff with volunteers
- Strive to use the form of communication you prefer
- Support you in maintaining your independence and quality of life for as long as possible whilst providing support for your carer