Inkerman Barracks, Woking
Date of construction 1859
(Converted to barracks in 1892)
The barracks were named after the Battle of Inkerman fought during the Crimean War on 5 November 1854.
In 1892 a prison for invalid convicts at Knaphill, near Woking, was converted to house two battalions of infantry. The first infantry battalion to be quartered there in 1895 was 2nd Battalion The Royal West Surrey Regiment (The Queen's). In September 1947 the Royal Military Police moved to Inkerman Barracks, establishing Inkerman as the home of the Corps.
Photo: Inkerman Barracks c1950.