Services for Young Children

Qualifying courses

College courses

To find qualifying courses in Hampshire please click on the above link. Please note that by clicking on the training provider link you will be taken directly to their website for more information.

Information on this grid was correct as at April 2012, please ensure you check with the College that they are still providing the course you are looking for and that they are eligible to reclaim bursaries on your behalf before committing to study with them. You will be liable for the full cost if they are not part of our bursary scheme.

Guidance on the appropriate level of training

Level 2 courses – For people working with children ‘on the front line’ in assistant roles and under supervision. Level 2 qualifications should be viewed as stepping stones towards a full and relevant Level 3.

Level 3 courses – For people with more experience of working with children, those who work in more specialised areas, alone and unsupervised, and often those who supervise/manage others.

Level 5 courses – These are courses at undergraduate level such as Foundation Degrees. These are equivalent to HE2 (second year of a degree).

Level 6 courses – These will enable you to add credits to your Foundation Degree to achieve either a full ordinary degree (60 credits) or a full honours degree (120 credits). These are equivalent to HE3 (final/honours year of a degree).

It is really important if you want to progress all the way through to Early Years Teacher status that you have English/English Language, Maths and Science at GCSE Grade C or above. Even if you don’t think you want to progress beyond Level 3 you will find your ability to achieve these qualifications enhanced if you improve on your English and Maths skills

*You can check the validity of all existing qualifications by following this link


What do I do next?

Need any help?