What is Safeguarding?
Safeguarding is about more than child protection. Child protection is specifically about protecting children and young people from suspected abuse and neglect. Safeguarding is much wider than that. It includes everything an organisation can do to keep children and young people safe, including minimising the risk of harm and accidents and taking action to tackle safety concerns.
Safeguarding is also about being able to respond quickly and appropriately to concerns or allegations brought to the organisation, which means having the right policies and procedures in place to deal with difficult situations if they arise.
No organisation is the same and one size does not fit all. Policies and procedures should be developed with all who will be abiding by them, accessible to all and shared on a regular basis.
Taken from Children England Fact Sheet 8
Hampshire's Local Safeguarding Children Board (LSCB) has joined with Portsmouth, Isle of Wight and Southampton's LSCB to create an umbrella partnership called the 4LSCB in order to make the best use of shared skills, knowledge and resources in safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. A copy of their procedures can be found at this link.
Lead Practitioner: Safeguarding Support Groups
The name of the Child Protection Officer has now been changed to Lead Practitioner: Safeguarding. The aim of these support groups is to provide Lead Practitioners: Safeguarding with a forum in order to develop their role as a setting leader for safeguarding children. They will be held in each area during the autumn and spring terms. Dates will be published in your local newsletter.
Useful links and documents
- AMA Guidance for safer working practice for adults who work with children and young people 467kb
- Hampshire Safeguarding Children Board model policy 123kb
- Working Together to Safeguard Children
- Physical Handling Policy Guidance Mar 2012 776kb
- Hampshire Safeguarding Children Board Good Practice Guidance 467kb
- Safer Internet Centre Helpline 344kb
- Model Recording Form 34kb
- Managing allegations against people who work with children and the role of the Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) 28kb
- LADO referral Form 73 kB (2014)
- Critical Incident Booklet (2013) 250 kB
- Child protection practitioners poster
- NSPCC Information on signs of neglect and abuse in pre-school children 330kb
- Children in Care
- Information Sharing: Guidance for practitioners and managers 1mb
- Information sharing flowchart - 7 golden rules 210kb
- Child protection case conference training pack 67 kB
- Safeguarding Poster for Parents 87 kB
Top Tips for sharing concerns with parents 40 kB
Further information can be obtained from the safeguarding unit on 01962 876265
If you think a child is at immediate risk of significant harm phone Children’s Social Care and/or Police immediately
Hants Direct: 08456 035620
Police: 0845 0454545 (999 if an emergency)