Special Educational Needs

What is a statement of special educational needs?

A statement will describe all of your child’s SEN and the special help your child should receive. The local authority will usually make a statement if it decides that all of the special help your child needs cannot be provided from within the school’s existing resources. These resources could include money, staff time and special equipment.

Before a statement can be written a statutory assessment must be carried out.

A statement of special educational needs is set out in six parts:

Part 1 - Introduction: This gives general information on your child, eg name, address and date of birth.

Part 2 - Special educational needs: This should describe all of your child's special educational needs, as well as their strengths. It should contain details of your child taken from the reports of those people who have provided information for your child's assessments - these reports are included as appendices at the back of the proposed statement. The aim is to provide a clear summary of your child's needs based on all of the information and advice received, including your own contribution.

Part 3 - Special educational provision: This should describe:

  • all of the special help that the local authority thinks your child should get to meet the needs listed in part two
  • what the long-term aims are; that is, what your child is expected to achieve over the duration of the statement
  • how your child’s progress will be monitored and recorded.

Part 4 - Placement: This tells you about the school your child will go to in order to get the help set out in Part 3. This section is left blank when the statement is first drafted (proposed statement). You have a right to express a preference for the maintained school that you would like your child to attend, or make representations in favour of a non-maintained or independent school. The local authority will send information on mainstream and special schools in Hampshire. They will also send details of non-maintained special schools and independent schools specially organised to provide special educational needs.

Part 5 - Non-educational needs: This describes any non-educational needs your child has.

Part 6 - Non-educational provision: This describes how your child will get help to meet the needs detailed in Part 5. This help is normally provided by other agencies such as health or social care services.

Find out more…