You are hereHantsweb HomeSpecial Educational NeedsSupport for parentsIndependent Parental Supporter

Special Educational Needs

What is an independent parental supporter

If your child has been identified as having a special educational need you may find it helpful to contact an independent parental supporter. They are independent from schools and the local authority.

They can:

  • provide moral support
  • provide Information
  • assist with writing letters and making your contribution to the assessment process
  • be present at meetings or during visits
  • discuss letters or documents and reports from schools and the local authority.

You can contact independent parental support through:

  • The Parent Partnership Service
  • Parents’ groups, voluntary organisations
  • individuals, eg trained volunteers, people nominated by parents/carers – friends, relatives, work colleagues, etc.