Community buddies: information for parents
Community buddies is a new service provided through our short breaks programme. It is designed to enable children and young people from 7 to 19 years old with a disability and/or additional needs to access activities in the community.
Who are community buddies?
A community buddy is:
- a volunteer or a paid member of staff
- interviewed, checked and trained before they are approved
- matched to the person best suited to them.
What do community buddies do?
- accompany a young person to their chosen activity, giving them time away from home
- help the young person to do things they want to do - it is up to the young person and their parents to decide how to use their community buddy time
- are available to provide support in all areas of the community, such as going shopping, bowling or going to the cinema.
Who can use a community buddy?
The community buddy scheme is open to children and young people from 7 to 19 years old who:
have a disability and/or additional needs and may require support to participate fully in leisure and recreation activities
live in Hampshire and/or attends a school in Hampshire (excluding Portsmouth, Southampton and the Isle of Wight as they have similar schemes).
How can I find out about community buddies?
You can find a list of approved community buddy providers, and the areas they cover, from Parent Voice at www.hampshiregateway.info; or by calling Parent Voice on 0300 303 8603
How much does it cost?
There is a standard change of £5 per hour for a community buddy (plus the cost of the activity and travel).
When can I use a community buddy?
You can use a community buddy after school, at weekends, in the school holidays, for a few hours, or a whole day - the choice is yours!
Community Buddies in the news
Here is an excerpt from a previous news story about community buddies "Best Buddies" (October 2011)
To find out more about short breaks, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01962 846399.
Register for a Gateway Card for access to activities, play schemes and buddy schemes available through our short breaks programme.