Yateley Country Park

Ask a Ranger

Do you have a question about Yateley Common Country Park? Seen a plant or animal you can't identify?

Ask a ranger and we will try to help! We will aim to get back to you with an answer within 3 working days.

Please leave your name and email address. Your email will not be published.
We may contact you prior to publication, so please use a genuine email or your question may not be published.


51 questions so far


24/11/2014 09:38am

Stephen Woolf

Am I permitted to pick wild mushrooms on Yateley common for my own personal consumption (i.e. Not for commercial purposes)?

The Ranger Replies

Hello. You can collect the four 'F's' for your own use - Flowers, Fruit, Foliage and Fungi. The same question was asked very recently and the answer was posted on 02/10/2014. Please refer to this response where you will find more details. Many thanks.



13/10/2014 03:14pm


Hi there.

Just wodering if it is OK to take away some branches that have already fallen for wirewood? i thought i would ask before taking!



The Ranger replies

Thank you for asking, but unfortunately this is not allowed. Certain properties around the Common do have Rights of Common which allows them to take wood legally, but beyond this, the collection of fallen wood is prohibited. Yateley Common is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) and as such, fallen deadwood is valuable to many invertebrates and in turn, therefore, many other animals. We do sell logs with free delivery to local residences.



24/11/2014 09:38am

John Piper

Hi there, we love walking and cycling over the Yateley common and I was wondering if there is any scope for me getting permission to set some geocaches up over there?

I have set a number up locally, including ones along the Blackwater river (which is also an SSSI). These were set up in conjunction with the head ranger at Bracknell Forest council and have been there for over 2 years without issue or causing any detriment to the local flaura and fauna.

In case you are unaware what geocaching is, there are more details at www.geocaching.com

Essentially it is modern treasure hunting with gps and typically a container for the hunter to find and sign a log.

An example of one of the ones I have set up on the Blackwater river SSSI is here... http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC3TZ9K_florence

I look forward to hearing from you.


John Piper

The Ranger Replies

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, on most parts of Yateley Common geocaching is not actually permitted because the site is a Site of Special Scientific Interest and part of the Thames Basin Heaths Special Protection Area. This decision has been made by Natural England, the UK's land conservation organisation, not to allow geocaching on this site and we have to abide by their decision. There is however a small area of land which is not part of the SSSI and we could allow a geocache to be placed in this location. If you email us direct at northern.sites@hants.gov.uk we could discuss this further. Many thanks.



02/10/2014 03:52pm

paul lewis

hello, I have taken up the hobby of metal detecting. I have become a member of the national council of metal detecting and I am insured. I would like to know if I am permitted to search anywhere on your land, many thanks.  

The Ranger replies

Thank you for making enquiries before going out on site to metal detect. Hampshire County Council has a metal detecting policy which cover detecting across all Countryside sites. Please contact the Conservation Officer Andy Davidson direct andrew.davidson@hants.gov.uk and he will be able to assist you.

Many thanks.



02/10/2014 03:52pm

Ewen Davis

I know that this is not directley part of Yatelely common but why have they blocked off the car parking area up Woodside road. This area had a notice board with yately common infomation and a Dog waste bin all of which are now behind a large earth bank.

The Ranger replies

Thank you for your interest in Yateley Common. This parcel of land is part of Yateley Common, but is owned by the MoD (and managed by Hampshire & Isle of Wight Wildlife Trust). I understand that the layby has been blocked off to minimise access to this parcel of land. The movement of troops on this area is likely to increase over coming months and years.

Parking is still available to the west, adjacent to the A30.



02/10/2014 03:52pm

Julia Wilbey

Hi Rangers, not much of a question, rather a "thought to let you know": we live at The Flats on the north-east side of the Common. We had a smooth snake in the garden on Saturday morning. It scuttled off quite quickly, but it was about 60 cm long and 3 cm in girth...roughly. It was greenish, almost blue... quite a sight. My husband looked up what it was and read that it was quite rare, so we thought to let you know. Sorry, we haven't got a picture...it was off in a flash.

The Ranger replies

Although not impossible, it is unlikely that it was a smooth snake. Like you say, these are extremely rare snakes and are very elusive tending to shy away from people spending most of their time underground. Having said all that, it is possible you may have seen one.

Smooth snake has only been recorded once on Yateley Common since the 1980's. They can be confused with an Adder, but they are much smaller in length, only reaching a maximum of approx. 60cm. The best way to tell them apart is that Adders have keeled (ridged) scales on their skin, unlike the Smooth snake, but not being able to get near them makes this identification very tricky. All snakes are protected under UK wildlife law.

A great spot whatever it was - we will definately keep our eyes out.



02/10/2014 03:52pm

Nick Cosgreave

Are there great crested newts around the A30 pond as I think we found one, can send pictures.

The Ranger replies

There are great crested newts in the ponds around Yateley Common and it is quite possible you may have seen one. You should be reminded though that these are protected under UK wildlife law and must not be disturbed in any way. Any photographs would be welcome and you can send them to northern.sites@hants.gov.uk.



02/10/2014 03:52pm

Ross Simmonds

Is responsible fungi foraging permitted on the Common? If so do you organise any events?

The Ranger replies

Hampshire County Council's Countryside Service has a Foraging policy which allows foraging of the four 'F's' - flowers, fruit, foliage and fungi. This is for personal use and not for resale or use in profit making ways. The only circumstances foraging would not be permitted would be if site bylaws applied with specific reference to foraging or if a particular species was protected under site designations. Personal foraging on Yateley Common is permitted.

We have run fungi foray events in the past, but have not had that much interest in them and so do not often provide such events.



02/10/2014 03:43pm

Charles Weager

Problem is how can I add a photo?

I have found this fellow hiding among some bricks in my garden and I cannot identify him/her. What I cannot place is the colour and the fact that he has a broad snout. To me it doesn't look like a British Lizard. The toes are not webbed.


The garden is at GU17 0AT no 30 and backs immediately onto Yateley Country Park which is designated an European Site of Special Scientific Interest. We have a large pond in the garden and are hosts to Frogs, Toads, Newts and a Grass Snake. We have lizards in the garden and they are usually the common type. The pond is in the SW garden and shaded by trees, thelizard was found by the house approx 9m from the pond.

When I found him it did not move but after I had put the brick down he disappeared. SO I assume he was playing dead as a defensive mechanism.

Sorry about the quality of the photos but they were taken on a phone.

Thank You,

Charles Weager.

P.S. No Frog Spawn this year

The Ranger replies

Apologies for the delay in responding to your enquiry. Should you still like for us to look at the photos, please send them to northern.sites@hants.gov.uk. Thank you.



16/04/2014 09:58pm


On the Blackbushe airfield part of the park, across from blackbushe metals there is a device at the top of a pole, sort of reminiscent of a sputnik style space capsure. I assume something to do with birds but could you satisfy my curiosity?



The Senior Ranger Replies

Hello Simon. I think you are refering to the air quality measuring devices, these are used to monitor particulate release from the scap yard. I hope this helps.



Go to page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Review Ref. 486933


Write a question


Required fields are marked with a *


Data Protection Act 1998

We will only process your personal data in order to respond to your questions.

" "

Privacy Statement

If you have a Freedom of Information request please redirect to ccbs.foi@hants.gov.uk. Any statutory timeframe will not commence until the request is received at this address.