Waste Collection and Recycling Service
The services offered
The contract covers the collection of:
- Regular (residual) waste collection
- Mixed recyclables (cans, plastic bottles, paper and card – including junk mail)
- Office grade white paper (collected separately and free of charge)
- Glass bottles and jars
- Hazardous waste
- Confidential waste
- ICT equipment
- Food waste
- Clothing collection and recycling
Why use the contract?
- Costs are set to increase: over the next few years the cost of managing, collecting and disposing of waste will increase due to new legislation.
- Stringent controls: the new legislation has placed stringent controls on the methods used, which coupled with the annual increase in Landfill Tax, is expected to push costs up significantly.
- Protection: this contract ensures that, throughout its life, all costs are kept to a minimum to protect customers from escalating prices.
- Comprehensive contract management by County Supplies.
- Full compliance with all waste management legislation.
- Service delivered to HCC specification standard including conformity to insurance cover, health and safety, sustainable development and equalities.
- Helpline for advice on waste matters: (01962) 826910.
The three suppliers, Grundon Waste Mangement Ltd, New Forest District Council and SITA UK Ltd, cover different parts of the county and offer different elements of the service:
Grundon Waste Management Ltd
Basingstoke & Deane
New Forest District Council
Residual waste (sack)
SITA UK Ltd
Residual waste (plus bin collection for NFDC)
Who can use this contract?
More about the services
Under the new contract, recycling prices are 40% cheaper than those for residual waste. This means that real savings can be achieved for those who recycle. Data supplied by the current contractors indicates that only 25-30% of waste is being recycled, but up to 90% of waste is recyclable – which means there is potential for huge cost savings.
Office Grade White Paper
SITA offer a free-of-charge collection for office grade white paper across the County. A separate bin will be provided by SITA. Further details are available on request from Julie Price at County Supplies – e-mail: email@example.com
The Grundon Haz-Box service caters for small volume but regular producers of hazardous waste. You will be supplied with a 55 litre lidded plastic box for the on-site storage of your waste, the contents are then collected upon an agreed schedule. Segregation of the waste is made on-site, much of which can be recycled, and collections can be arranged fortnightly, monthly, quarterly, 6-monthly or annually.
Charges are per box, per collection with discounts for additional boxes and collections. Additional waste that cannot fit into a box can be removed for an additional cost. Prices and further details are available on request from Julie Price at County Supplies.
Sita offer a confidential waste collection service across the County. All waste is collected by SITA-vetted staff in secure SITA vehicles and is shredded within 24 hours at the SITA Security Shredding plant at Swindon. All material is recycled and a destruction certificate is issued for each load.
Prices are based on large single collections (150 sacks), on a weekly schedule or multiple location (minimum of 5) collections on a 'milk round' basis (10 sacks).
Prices and further details on request from Julie Price at County Supplies.
Batteries and ICT equipment disposal
Food waste collection and recycling
Please see the Food Waste Recycling page.
From 1 April 2009.
Julie Price, Procurement Officer
County Supplies, Bar End Road, Winchester SO23 9NR.
Tel: (01962) 826910
Fax: (01962) 826964