Asylum seeker and refugee support - advice for schools
Hampshire EMTAS can:
- provide detailed guidance on asylum seeker/refugee issues including immigration, admission to schools/colleges, teaching and learning, pastoral advice, resources, useful contacts.
- provide a bilingual assistant to translate or interpret.
- give you practical teaching support, including an early profiling assessment of the pupil's previous education and current achievement levels to enable early and correct placement.
- provide advice on the best course of action regarding GCSE choices/other courses when admitting pupils into Year 10 or Year 11.
- provide in-class support for the child/young person.
- provide training for school staff.
Please see Schools: new arrivals for information on making a referral to our service.
Asylum seekers and refugee children/young people in education: good practice guidelines 2mb (published September 2009) by Hampshire Inspection and Advisory Service (HIAS) offers detailed information and guidance to Hampshire schools.