Department for Economy, Transport, and Environment
The Department is the third largest spending department within Hampshire County Council. In 2011-2012 the Department will spend over £130 million providing a wide range of services for Hampshire in these roles:
- Local highway authority (looking after 5000 miles of roads);
- Waste disposal authority for Hampshire (disposing of over 840,000 tonnes of household waste).
- Planning authority (for minerals and waste and County Council planning applications).
Note: Previously called the Environment Department, the Department's name was changed on 1 April 2011 in order to reflect:
- New responsibilites for economic development work, as a result of internal changes
- The onging importance of transport and road maintenance work, for which the Department has always been responsible.
More information about services the Department provides
The 2009-2010 Annual Review for the Department is also available:
Decision making process
How to find us
The Department is based at the Castle complex at the top of the High Street in Winchester.
The full address is: Department for Economy, Transport, and Environment, The Castle, Hampshire County Council, Winchester, Hampshire SO23 8UD.