Hampshire Police and Crime Panel
The Hampshire Police and Crime Panel (PCP) has been formed to hold the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) for Hampshire to account. The Commissioner, Simon Hayes, will set key policing priorities, for appointing senior officers and for setting the policing element of council tax.
The Police and Crime Panel is made up of representatives from each of the Local Authorities in the Hampshire Police area, which includes the cities of Portsmouth and Southampton, the Isle of Wight as well as Hampshire County Council and the 11 Borough and District authorities within it. Two non-political members of the Panel are also appointed to add to the collective spread of experience and knowledge.
Meeting formally around four times per year, the PCP will be able to examine and make recommendations on various aspects of the Commissioner’s activity, in particular powers include:
- To review the draft Police and Crime Plan
- To scrutinise the PCC's Annual Report
- To review and scrutinise decisions and actions by the PCC
- To review and veto the PCC's proposed Council Tax precept levels
- To review the PCC’s Conduct – the PCP can suspend the PCC if they are charged with 2 year imprisonable offence and report to IPCC, however they cannot remove the PCC.
- To confirm the Chief Constable’s appointment.
- To appoint an acting PCC, if required.
- Appointment of new long-term Interim Chief Executive
The PCP unanimously recommended the appointment of Mr Kevin Gardner to the role of long-term interim Chief Executive at a Confirmation Hearing on 23 January 2015.
Full report of the Confirmation Hearing for the role of Interim Chief Executive
- Press release - Hampshire Police and Crime Panel approves proposed increase in policing precept
- Residents invited to help improve the experience of victims and witnesses of crime, across Hampshire and the Isle of Wight
- Press release - Hampshire Police and Crime Panel calls for more support in rural communities to help protect against rural crime
Democratic and Member Services
Corporate Services Department
Hampshire County Council
The Castle, Winchester, SO23 8UJ
( 01962 847336)