Hampshire food: Cottage Pie with a twist
Hampshire school meals, provided by HC3S catering, include locally produced organic beef on their menus which is made into meatballs and beef burgers.
180°C or Gas No. 4
Makes Approx. 8 Portions
2 x 750 ml pie dishes
(4 portions in each one – one for now and one for later!)
10ml (1 dstsp) Vegetable oil
567g (1lb 4oz) Minced beef
113g (4oz) Lentils
113g (4oz) Diced onion
227g (8oz) Grated carrot
5ml (1 tsp) Ground cumin
30ml (2 tblsp) Tomato ketchup
30ml (2 tblsp) Mango chutney
10ml (2 tsp) Curry powder
750ml (26 fl oz) Beef stock
Seasoning to taste
737g (1lb 10oz) Peeled potatoes
454g (1lb) Peeled sweet potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the grated carrots and diced onion.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the minced beef and cook for 2 minutes until the meat is coloured.
- Add the cumin, curry powder and lentils, and stir together for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato ketchup.
- Then stir in stock and season.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 25-30 minutes until thickened and lentils are cooked.
- Stir in mango chutney.
- Transfer to 2 oven proof dishes.
- While the mince is cooking, cook the potatoes separately.
- Drain well, mash together, adding a knob of butter.
- Spread the potato mixture over the mince and fork up into small peeks.
- At this stage, put one in the freezer for another time and bake the other one in the oven until golden brown, 25-30 minutes approximately.
- Serve with spring cabbage.