Services and events at Alton Library
Regular events include Storytimes, Rhymetimes and Reading Groups
Pick of the month
A selection of the best new books, DVDs and CDs
Learning in Libraries
Courses and Workshops in Hampshire Libraries
Jane Austen Collection
Covers the life and works of Jane Austen
Online Library Services
Reserve and renew
Use the online service to reserve an item or renew your loans
Search for books, DVDs and CDs and login to your account
eBooks and audiobooks
Free downloads to your portable device or to read online
Free access to subscription websites. Hampshire library card required.
Join the library
Join online today and reserve items straight away!
Sign up to get our regular newsletter
Keep in touch with all the latest events
The Alton Local studies Collection is housed on the first floor together with the Jane Austen Collection. The collection is centred on Alton and the immediate area, including villages such as Bentley, Grayshott and Liphook.
You will find a range of local history resources including
Newspapers & Periodicals
- Alton Gazette 1910, 1966-2008 – bound copies
- Hampshire Herald 1893-1895, 1951-1965
- Alton Herald 1992-2008
- Hampshire Herald and Alton Gazette 1885-1950
- Aldershot and District Bus Interest Group Newsletters 2001 to date
- Alton Society Newsletter 1988 to date
- Alton Town Twinning Association Newsletters, January 2002-March 2007
- The Altonian, official Newsletter of Alton Town Council, Oct 1998-summer 2009
- Archaeology in Hampshire: Annual Reports 1990 then 1998-2002
- Beech Newsletter October 2002-Autumn 2008
- Four Marks News April 2006 to date
- Hampshire Magazine 1960-2004
- Hampshire Life 1998 to date
- Holybourne Village Magazine, May 2003-December 2006 then August 2008 to date
- Mid Hants Railway Annual Reports 1992-2004
- Northern Wey Trust Membership Newsletter 1998 to date
- St Lawrence Parish Magazine, Oct 2007-Apr 2009 (not all editions)
- Surrey and Hants Canal Society/Basingstoke Canal Newsletter July 1974 to date
- The Villager (Parish Magazine of Bentworth, Lasham, Medstead and Shalden) April 2008 to date
Directories & Registers
- Various Hampshire trade directories on microfiche for the years 1784-1889
- Photocopies of extracts of Moody’s Directories of Alton 1911, 1924,
- 1931, 1937
- Photocopies of Alton entries from Hants directories 1784-1939
- Electoral Register for the Petersfield Division Autumn 1926, 1935-1936, 1949, 1956-1957, 1960-1961, 1964-1965
- Alton Town Council Minutes from April 2000 to date
We hold an incomplete series of Ordnance Survey Maps for the Alton area which includes:
- 25” to one mile scale maps for the 1950s-1990s and various editions of 25” to one mile County series 26.10-35.4, 35.5-42.16, 43.1-52.8
- 1:10,000 (6” to one mile) scale maps for the 1970s
- We also hold geological maps for the area.
We hold a small collection of photographs, many of which may be viewed on our local history site Hantsphere or may be viewed in the library.
We also have a binder of postcards many of which are of Lord Mayor Treloar Hospital.
Census and International Genealogical Index
- 1901 Census on microfiche for Alton and surrounding area
- International Genealogical Index for the following areas:
- Hampshire 1988
- Surrey 1992
- Sussex, 1988
Alton Library holds cuttings and ephemera arranged in envelopes by places in Alton and subjects such as hospitals, girl guides since 1980. The collection is indexed with a folder giving a list of subjects.
- Binder of material relating to Fanny Adams
- East Hampshire District Guides 1970s-1990s
- Watercress Line Timetable 1979
- File of environmental reports and pamphlets about the River Wey, including a Consultation Report from 1998
- Hampshire Genealogy Society Monumental Inscription on microfiche
- Hampshire Wills Index
Various local parishes.
Please check Parish registers in Hampshire for details.
Hot and cold water available for refreshments, hirer to provide own food and drink if required.
Pay and Display car park opposite the library.
For more information and bookings tel 01420 85734
Located on the 1st floor
Seats approx. 16 around a table and up to 24 in lecture style.
Standard rate £15 per hour
Daily charge up to 5pm £75
Community rate £10 per hour
Daily charge up to 5pm £50
Located on the 2nd floor
Seats approx. 8 around a table and up to 15 in lecture style.
Standard rate £10 per hour
Daily charge up to 5pm £50
Community rate £8 per hour
Daily charge up to 5pm £35
Facilities at Alton Library
- 9 public computers
- free internet
- colour printing
- photocopying - black and white, colour, A4, A3 and double-sided
- room hire
- Drop-in facilities for HCC staff
- hearing loop
- tv magnifier
- equal access toilet
- wheelchair access into building
- lift access to all parts of library
- 2 disabled parking bays 10m
- nearest public parking 50m
- baby changing facilities
Closed on Public Holidays