Farnborough Library and Learning Centre
Learning in Libraries
Courses and Workshops
Books, pamphlets, directories, cuttings files, videos, photographs and more.
Online Library Services
Reserve and renew
Use the online service to reserve an item or renew your loans
Search for books, DVDs and CDs and login to your account
eBooks and audiobooks
Free downloads to your portable device or to read online
Free access to subscription websites. Hampshire library card required.
Join the library
Join online today and reserve items straight away!
Sign up to get our regular newsletter
Keep in touch with all the latest events
Local Studies at Farnborough Library and Learning Centre
The Local Studies section is housed on open shelves on the mezzanine floor of the library. It covers the area of Rushmoor Borough Council and the surrounding area, including parts of Surrey. Some material may be found in at Aldershot Library and Leaning Centre.
Newspapers & Periodicals
- Aldershot News 1894-2000
- Courier 1995-2000
- News and Courier 2001-2008
- The Times 1961-1972
- Farnborough News 1950s to date
- The Star 1978-2008
- Aldershot and District Bus Interest Group Newsletters
- Aldershot and District Society for Mentally Handicapped Children Newsletter January 1976 and January and April 1977
- Blackwater Valley News 1992 to date
- Blackwater Bugle 1992 to date
- Cobbett Society Newsletters 1978 to date
- Cove Parish News October 1995 to January 1996
- Cove Brook Greenway Group 1996 to date
- Fleet Pond Society Newsletters for 1990s
- Hampshire Magazine 1960 to date
- Hampshire Field Club Proceedings
- Hampshire Family Historian 1986 to date
- Hampshire and Isle of Wight Wildlife Trust diaries/newsletters
- Hartley Wintney Parish Magazine 1987 to 1989
- NE Hants Archaeological Society Newsletters for the 1970s
- North Camp Methodists Newsletters for the 1990s (incomplete file)
- Rowhill Nature Reserve Newsletters 1977 to date
- St Peters Church Magazine 1989 to date
- Surrey Archaeological Collection
- Surrey/Hants Canal Society Newsletters 1969-1986 then Basingstoke Canal News 1987 to date
Directories and Registers
- Farnborough Electoral Register 1963-2002
Farnborough Library holds Ordnance Survey Maps in its collection. There is a detailed list of contents in a ring binder.
- 50” to one mile maps from Farnborough from the 1960s onward
- 25” to one mile maps of Farnborough and the surrounding area from the 1880s onward
- We hold a small collection of pre 1940 6” to one mile scale maps
- Geology Maps for Hampshire
- Goad Plans for Aldershot, Basingstoke, Farnborough and Fleet from 1983 on
- Copies of some Estate and Sale Plans of Farnborough and a transcript of the Farnborough Inclosure Award
The photograph collection holds a mixture of modern colour photographs some older ones and some copies. It mainly covers the Aldershot and Farnborough areas though there are some of the Eversley area. There are also some photographs of the interior of Farnborough Abbey dating from the 19th century. An index to the collection is provided.
Census and International Genealogical Index
- Hampshire 1851 Census Indexes
- 1881 Census Index on microfiche
- 1891 and 1901 Census for North East Hants on microfiche
- Hampshire Record Office Will index
- International Genealogical Index for Hampshire
- Rushmoor Borough Council Guides, Local Plans, Budgets and Leisure publications
- Farnborough Advertiser 1931-c1939
- Old development plans for Hart and local plans for Hook, Fleet and Yateley for the 1970s
- Farnborough also holds current local planning documents and consultations. Please ask staff if you wish to view them.
- Farnborough Urban District Council Minutes 1950s-1974
- Rushmoor Borough Council Minutes 1974 to date
- Old planning documents, local plans
Various parishes in the local area. Please checkParish registers in Hampshire for details.
For more information or to book rooms at Farnborough Library phone 01252 516458
Learning Zone 1
The Learning Zone is on the 1st floor access via a lift or stairs. Refreshment making facilities are available, donations are appreciated towards costs.
The library has an accessible public toilet on the ground floor plus a hot drinks vending machine on first floor and cold drinks dispenser on the ground floor.
The room is light and airy. There is an induction loop available for those using hearing aids. The room has foldable tables and chairs that can be put together in a number of ways. Laptop and projector available for presentations.
Pay and Display car park opposite the library. Farnborough bus station 300m, train station 700 m.
- 30 (conference style, 30 chairs available)
- Standard £15 per hour
- Community £10 per hour
- Laptop and projector hire £5
Small Meeting Room
The small meeting room is available for hire, subject to other bookings, during library opening hours.
It seats up to 10
Hot and cold water available for refreshments Vending machine available on the ground floor.
Toilets available including disabled facilities.
- Standard £15 per hour
- Community £10 per hour
- 21 public computers
- free internet
- colour printing
- photocopying - black and white, colour, A4, A3, double-sided
- microfiche reader
- fax service
- DVDs, CDs, video games, audio books
- room hire
- exhibition facilities
- hearing loopmagnifier available
- text reader
- Magnifier - Kindly donated by the Rotary Club of Rushmoor
- wheelchair accessible toilet
- baby changing facilities
- parking available, 3 designated bays for Blue Badge holders.
- wheelchair access to building
- lift to first floor
- Shopmobility available nearby
Mon 9.30am - 7pm
Tue 9.30am - 6pm
Wed 9.30am - 6pm
Thu 9.30am - 6pm
Fri 9.30am - 7pm
Sat 9.30am - 5pm