Waterlooville Library and Learning Centre
News and events
Storytimes for children, adult learning, crafts, reading groups and more!
Pick of the month
A selection of the best new books, DVDs and CDs
Learning in Libraries
Courses and Workshops in Hampshire Libraries
Online Library Services
Reserve and renew
Use the online service to reserve an item or renew your loans
Search for books, DVDs and CDs and login to your account
eBooks and audiobooks
Free downloads to your portable device or to read online
Free access to subscription websites. Hampshire library card required.
Join the library
Join online today and reserve items straight away!
Sign up to get our regular newsletter
Keep in touch with all the latest events
Local Studies at Waterlooville Library and Learning Centre
The Local Studies collection is housed on the second floor of Waterlooville Library and covers the town of Waterlooville and surrounding area of Havant Borough as well as material for areas adjacent to Waterlooville. Maps are stored in map cabinets and can be accessed with the help of a library assistant.
Newspapers & Periodicals
- The News is held for 12 months. Earlier copies, Jan 1989 - March 2005, may be viewed on microfilm.
- Hampshire Telegraph, 1799 - 1868, may be viewed on microfilm. A surname index, 1799 - 1841, is available at the desk.
- Hants & Sussex News, 1924 - 25, may be viewed on microfilm.
- Ratepayer 1998 - 2007
Directories and Registers
- Kelly’s Directory for 1939
- Copies of Directories from 1784 are held on microfiche
- Havant and District Directory 1959
- Main series is ‘Historical maps’, consisting mainly of: OS 6 inch NG (metric and pre-metric) and 25 inch series, c1863 - 1941. Later 6 inch and 25 inch, 1950s -1980s covers Waterlooville and surrounding area. Street Name Index is available
- Havant Borough Council plans for Waterlooville, 1960s - 80s
- Copies of maps of Waterlooville area, 1800 onwards
- Havant Borough Council Ward and Street plan
- Ordnance Survey Pathfinder and Landranger series 1:50,000 covers country wide.
- Geological maps of the area and sea charts (Admiralty and Stanfords)
- Margary Series of old Hampshire maps, 1557 - 1826
Census and International Genealogical Index
- Census for 1841 to 1901 on microfiche. Covers local area not complete
- Hampshire Genealogy Society surname index for the 1851 Census of Hampshire
- International Genealogical Index on microfiche is available
- Hampshire Record Office Wills Index
- 1991 Census for Hampshire Wards
- 2001 Census Statistics for wards in Havant Borough
- Monumental Inscriptions (HGS): Priory Church of St. Mary, Portchester; Christchurch, Portsdown; St. John the Baptist, Purbrook
- Victoria County History for Hampshire & Isle of Wight Vol. 1 - 4
- Hampshire Studies Collection
- Hampshire Treasures Vol. 6 East Hampshire
- Topographical Account of the Hundred of Bosmere
- Countryside Commission Access Register, 2005, Conservation Walks & Rides in Hampshire
- Havant Borough Council: Waterlooville Design & Environmental Statements
- Portsmouth Record Series & Portsmouth Papers collection
Various local parishes.
Please check Parish registers in Hampshire for details.
Rooms are available for hire, when not subject to other bookings, at the following times:
- Mon, Tue, Wed 9am - 4.45pm
- Thu, Fri 9am - 6.45pm
- Sat 9am - 4.45pm
Please call 023 9225 2608 for more information/bookings.
Please note: There is no facilities management on site. After use, the Hirer must leave the premises in a clean and tidy condition and the Hirer's property removed
The community room is on the 3rd floor access via a lift or stairs. Refreshment making facilities are available - hirers to provide their own comestibles. The library has an accessible public toilet on the 2nd floor plus a hot drinks vending machine on the ground floor.
The room is light and airy. There is an induction loop available for those using hearing aids. The room has individual tables and chairs that can be put together in a number of ways
Capacity: meeting room 15-20, lecture style 20-30
- Hearing loop
- Data projector & screen
- Sink & hot water dispenser
- Flip chart
- Standard £10 per hour, full day £70 (9am - 4.45pm)
- Community £5 per hour, full day £35 (9am - 4.45pm)
The meeting rooms are on the 1st and 3rd floor with access via a lift or stairs. The library has an accessible public toilet on the 2nd floor plus a hot drinks vending machine on the ground floor. The rooms are light and airy. There is an induction loop available for those using hearing aids.
- 1st Floor - Standard £7 per hour, fully day £50 (9am - 4.45pm)
- 3rd Floor - Standard £5 per hour, full day £35 (9am - 4.45pm)
- Community £3 per hour, full day £20 (9am - 4.45pm)
The IT Suite is on the ground floor. The room is light and airy, has 10 PCs plus one for a tutor and a ceiling projector. The library has an accessible public toilet on the 2nd floor plus a hot drinks vending machine on the ground floor. There is an induction loop available for those using hearing aids. Additional facilities available for hire include a laptop and data projector.
Capacity: 10+ a trainer
- Standard £15 per hour, full day £110 (9am - 4.45pm)
- Community £10 per hour, full day £70 (9am - 4.45pm)
- Reduction for non profit making groups £60 full day
- Laptop and projector hire £5
- 15 public pcs
- free internet
- free wi-fi access
- microfilm/ fiche reader
- quiet study carrels
- colour printing
- photocopying - black and white, colour, A4, A3 and double-sided
- room hire
- coffee facilities
- Drop-in facilities for HCC staff
- hearing loop
- public toilet - equal access
- baby changing facilities
- wheelchair access into building
The Precinct, Waterlooville
Hampshire, PO7 7DT
tel 0845 6035631 call charges
Monday 9am - 5pm
Tuesday 9am - 5pm
Wednesday 9am - 5pm
Thursday 9am - 7pm
Friday 9am - 7pm
Saturday 9am - 5pm
Closed on Public Holidays