Hire terms and conditions
When using Winchester Discovery Centre visitors must adhere to these terms and conditions.
Essential rules for visitors using space within Winchester Discovery Centre.
- All visitors must liaise with the Event Programme Manager on their proposed plans for the event.
Access and parking
- All deliveries/pickups must be coordinated with the Event Programme Manager and agreed before the Event.
- There is a disabled parking bay and there is easy access into the Discovery Centre.
- Please inform the Event Programme Manager if a wheelchair is required.
- There is a disabled toilet on both floors of the Discovery Centre.
- All spaces are accessible for wheelchair users.
- Toilets, disabled toilet facilities, baby changing, changing rooms and showers are available
Health and Safety
- Visitors are required to have a list of personnel on site for H & S reasons.
- Visitors are required to make sure their attendees are familiar with Fire Evacuation rules.
- If you discovery a fire please set off one of the red fire alarms and then direct your guests to evacuate the building via the nearest fire exit.
- Visitors/Hirers are not required to move any equipment/furniture without consent from centre staff.
- Please ensure that the row of free standing chairs remains in front of the tiered seating throughout the event.
- All equipment must be cleared within the timings agreed with the Event Programme Manager.
- All visitors must provide Risk Assessments one week before the event.
- If you have a first aid requirement please contact either reception points.
- All electric equipment must be PAT test before being used in the Discovery Centre.
- Visitors must show PAT certificates/document for each piece of equipment.
Events with children
- The hirer must ensure there are enough responsible adults dedicated to the care of children present at any event.
- All events that involve working with Children must have had the appropriate checks etc.
Name of Establishment: Winchester Discovery Centre
Name of Hirer: (‘the Hirer’)
1.The Hirer shall satisfy himself that the facilities to be hired are suitable for his purposes.
2.The use of the premises must not interfere with the proper working of the establishment or impair its efficiency. In particular the Hirer acknowledges that it will not have exclusive use of the site.
3.The contract for the hire of the premises between the Hirer and Hampshire County Council (‘the County Council’) shall take effect only upon written acceptance of the application on behalf of the County Council being posted or handed to the Hirer.
4.The Hirer shall pay the hiring fees, including a non-refundable deposit, at the rates and times set out on the attached Agreement for Hire.
5.The Hirer shall indemnify the establishment and Hampshire County Council against all claims for damages, compensation and/or costs in respect of:
- a. bodily injury or illness to Third Parties, and/or
- b. damage to Third Party property caused by or
- c. arising out of or being incidental to the Hirer's use of the premises.
6.The Hirer shall be responsible for loss or damage to the establishments premises and contents therein the property of the Hampshire County Council.
7.The Hirer shall effect adequate insurance in respect of the liabilities and the loss or damage referred to respectively in Conditions 6 and 7 above (See Appendix following Conditions of Hire for explanatory notes on insurance).
8.The Establishment holds licences for public dancing, music or any other public entertainment. The Hirer shall be responsible for complying with the terms of any such licence.
9.The Hirer shall be responsible for complying with the legislation relating to copyright in relation to the hiring and with the legislation relating to copyright in relation to the hiring and the requirements of the Performing Rights Society Limited and Phonographic Performance Limited concerning the performance respectively of musical work and sound recordings on the premises. The Hirer indemnifies the County Council against any breach of this condition.
10.The Hirer shall be responsible for ensuring that any gaming or lottery, which takes place on the establishment premises, complies with the relevant legislation.
11.Use of the premises is limited to the accommodation hired and necessary facilities such as toilets.
12.The Hirer is not permitted to bring onto the premises food or drink for consumption at the event. The Hirer agrees to purchase all food, drink and catering services for the event from the Establishment’s contracted supplier for such services.
13. The Hirer is responsible for the preservation of good order during the hiring in particular the Hirer shall ensure that there is proper care and supervision of young children. The Hirer shall at all times provide an adequate number of stewards who shall be present throughout the hiring.
14.The Establishment reserves the right to exclude individuals or companies that it considers undesirable or inappropriate. The Establishment reserves the right to require the Premises Officer to be in attendance for the preservation of good order and safety and to recover from the Hirer any additional expenses incurred as a result of this condition. If the Premises Officer considers the behaviour of the Hirer, its guest/delegates or third party contractors to be unreasonable, then the Premises Officer may cancel and/or terminate the event with immediate effect and the Establishment shall not be obliged to refund any part of the Hire charge.
15.No nails or screws shall be driven into the walls, floors, ceilings, furniture or fittings, and no placards shall be affixed to any part of the premises.
16.The laying of composition or other preparation on the establishments floors is prohibited, save with the prior written approval of the establishment.
17.No smoking is allowed.
18.The Establishments furniture and equipment shall not be moved except by prior arrangement. Official exit ways must be kept clear at all times.
19.Any alteration or addition to the Establishments lighting or electrical heating systems is strictly forbidden, except with the written consent of the Establishment. Consent may be subject to conditions, which the Hirer will be required to observe.
20.If any special equipment is required, it must be clearly stated on the application form. An extra charge will be made for this service, and the Establishment must be satisfied that a competent person will supervise the use of the equipment.
21.The Hirer will be responsible for health and safety of the users of the accommodation and will (if required) attend a Health and Safety Briefing with the Premises Officer prior to the event. The Hirer will be responsible for providing any first aid facilities that he deems necessary in accordance with the Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981.
22.The Hirer will be responsible for the selection of supervision of all third parties it engages to provide services for the event, including ensuring that such third parties have in place sufficient insurance to cover their liabilities.
23.No function shall extend beyond the hiring period and the Hirer shall completely vacate the premises and grounds by that time, unless special arrangements have been agreed on behalf of the establishment.
24.After use, the Hirer must leave the premises in a clean and tidy condition and the Hirer's property removed. The Establishment reserve the right to recover from the Hirer any additional expenses incurred as a result of non-compliance with this condition.
25.The Establishment reserve the right to cancel any hiring without notice if:
- a. the accommodation will, due to circumstances
- b. outside their control, be unavailable for the hire period, or
- c. the Hirer has failed to disclose material information concerning the proposed hiring, or
- d. there are reasonable grounds to conclude that the Conditions of Hire may be breached to a material extent.
i.In the event of (a) all hiring fees will be refunded to the Hirer, but the Establishment shall have no further liability to the Hirer.
ii.In the event of (b) and (c) any refund of hiring fees shall be at the discretion of the Establishment.
26.The Hirer shall notify the Establishment of the number of guests/delegates and names and addresses of any third party providers engaged to provide services for the event, at least 4 weeks before the event.
27.The Establishment reserve the right to limit the guests/delegates.
28.The Hirer is responsible for the safe guarding and safe keeping of all items belonging to the Hirer, its guests/delegates or third parties engaged by it. The Establishment accepts no responsibility for such items.
29.The Hirer may not assign or sub-let the hire of the Establishment.
30.The Hirer acknowledges that Winchester Discovery Centre is a public library between
- a. 9am and 7pm
- b. and will respect the presence of visitors in the vicinity of the event.
Hirer's Insurance – Indemnity Clause
In accordance with the terms of hiring it is customary to require persons/organizations to accept responsibility for damage to the premises and its equipment and for the Third Party claims involving injury to persons and/or damage to property.
A Injury to persons or property
1.The Hirer shall indemnify Hampshire County Council against all claims for damages, compensation and/or costs in respect of:
- a.bodily injury or illness to Third Parties, including the County Councils servants and agents and/or
- b.damage or loss to Third Party property caused by, or arising out of, or being incidental to the hirer's use of the premises.
2.The Hirer shall effect adequate insurance to cover this liability with a minimum limit of indemnity of £10 million for commercial hirings except where otherwise agreed £5 million for non-commercial hirings.
B Damage to premises and equipment
1.The Hirer shall be responsible for the loss of, or damage to the premises and contents therein, which is the property of Hampshire County Council, except when loss or damage to the premises or contents are as a result of the negligence of Hampshire County Council.
2.The Hirer shall effect adequate insurance to cover this liability with a minimum limit of indemnity of` £10 million for commercial hirings except where otherwise agreed £5 million for non- commercial hirings Hirers must produce evidence that the required insurance cover is in place at least 7 days before the event