Access to work may provide financial assistance. This programme, administered by Jobcentre Plus, is designed to assist disabled people into work or within the workplace.
Access to work will consider requests for the funding of:
- communicator support, which meets the full cost of hiring an interpreter, to remove barriers to communication at job interviews
- a support worker, which allows the applicant to use the services of a helper, eg a reader for a visually impaired person or specialist coaching for someone with learning difficulties
- special aids equipment to help a disabled person function in the workplace
- adaptations to premises or existing equipment
- help towards the cost of getting to work if someone is unable to use public transport because of a disability.
Further information on the Access to work programme is available from disability employment advisers who can be contacted through the local Job Centre or Jobcentre Plus office. Jobcentre Plus's website also contains details of the Access to work programme.