Romsey to Eling
Walking south from Romsey, you can glimpse the grand Palladian mansion of Broadlands through the trees, once home of the late Lord Louis Mountbatten.
The path now hugs the western edge of the valley with its waves of wooded terraces beside you, before crossing the river and taking you through a wonderful nature reserve of reedbeds and saltmarshes that is alive with rare birds and plants. Take care though: this area can be waterlogged at any time of the year.
Cross the river for the last time before finishing the Way at Eling Wharf.
Distance 9 miles, 3-4 hours
- Visit Test Valley
- Southampton TIC, tel 02380 833333
- Lyndhurst TIC, tel 02380 282269
- Salmon Leap, Totton, tel 02380 862694
- Anchor Inn, Totton, tel 02380 428206
- King Rufus, Totton, tel 02380 868899
- Village Bells, Totton, tel 02380 660837
Places of interest
- Eling Tide Mill, tel 02380 869575